Main Menu
avatar_Leading Observer

The Wren Type 6

Started by Leading Observer, July 01, 2020, 03:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

My memory stirred and reminded me of a Kindle book read a while ago:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prototypes-David-Bruce-ebook/dp/B01A7QVNJ8/ref=pd_vtp_351_1/259-6115364-3208766?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01A7QVNJ8&pd_rd_r=eb5ac3f1-237f-4772-918b-c29f9fc02a85&pd_rd_w=WDN0e&pd_rd_wg=fQHwT&pf_rd_p=d9372598-6033-49ea-b94e-b8f16bc59396&pf_rd_r=23Z0KYF5RH7FFWPR2XV7&psc=1&refRID=23Z0KYF5RH7FFWPR2XV7

Thought I'd have a go a creating the Type 6, the outline at the top of the cover illustration. It's a mid-engine, Sabre powered aircraft according to the story, armed with 4 20mm Cannon in the wings. I have a Fisher P-75 in the stash as a starting point, coupled with wings from an old Attacker. Time to go and search...
LO


Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Knightflyer

Quote from: Leading Observer on July 01, 2020, 03:38:41 AM
My memory stirred and reminded me of a Kindle book read a while ago:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prototypes-David-Bruce-ebook/dp/B01A7QVNJ8/ref=pd_vtp_351_1/259-6115364-3208766?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01A7QVNJ8&pd_rd_r=eb5ac3f1-237f-4772-918b-c29f9fc02a85&pd_rd_w=WDN0e&pd_rd_wg=fQHwT&pf_rd_p=d9372598-6033-49ea-b94e-b8f16bc59396&pf_rd_r=23Z0KYF5RH7FFWPR2XV7&psc=1&refRID=23Z0KYF5RH7FFWPR2XV7

Thought I'd have a go a creating the Type 6, the outline at the top of the cover illustration. It's a mid-engine, Sabre powered aircraft according to the story, armed with 4 20mm Cannon in the wings. I have a Fisher P-75 in the stash as a starting point, coupled with wings from an old Attacker. Time to go and search...

Well I've just bought the book after reading your post .....so you have my interest!  ;D :thumbsup:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

After reading the excerpt on Amazon, and some of the other books he's written, Mr Bruce is on my list of 'Must Read' authors! Thanks for the link LO.  :thumbsup:

It reads a bit like 'The Foresight War', one of my all time faves.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

IIRC, the P.75 has a round fuselage in cross section, whereas the Wren on the book cover appears to have a slimmer fuselage.  Personally, I'd go with a Meteor fuselage, probably a Matchbox one as the wings go onto as two pieces, as opposed to the Airfix one which has a single piece lower wing and the tailplanes look more like that of the Wren too.

Alternatively, an AZ Spiteful wing (because it's useless as a Spiteful) and an Airfix Meteor fuselage.

OR go with the Wren Type 6 F.2 with a Centaurus - Attacker straight but with a nose contraprop and a few scoops and outlets.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today. Our number one priority is keeping rabies at bay"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Leading Observer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 01, 2020, 08:49:30 AM
IIRC, the P.75 has a round fuselage in cross section, whereas the Wren on the book cover appears to have a slimmer fuselage.  Personally, I'd go with a Meteor fuselage, probably a Matchbox one as the wings go onto as two pieces, as opposed to the Airfix one which has a single piece lower wing and the tailplanes look more like that of the Wren too.

Alternatively, an AZ Spiteful wing (because it's useless as a Spiteful) and an Airfix Meteor fuselage.

OR go with the Wren Type 6 F.2 with a Centaurus - Attacker straight but with a nose contraprop and a few scoops and outlets.

All good suggestions, and as I haven't actually found the P.75 kit yet :banghead: I may go down that route ;)
LO


Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

The Wooksta!

TBH, it was one I wanted to do and have yet to get round to.  It was to have been the Supermarine answer to the Mustang Flying Test Bed.

Centaurus goes where the Nene does, the exhaust collected into a single jetpipe and out the back.  Contraprop (Frog/Novo Shattipuss) driven by an extension shaft under the cockpit, the Attacker intakes become the radiator and oil coolers, so you'll need some exit vents.  Possibly a scoop for some undefined engineering reason.  Definitely change the shape of the fin - at least take the fillet off.  If you use ye olde Frog/Novo one, the canopy is awful, so best replaced with something else - Meteor F8?  The wings have no wheel wells but in come in upper and lower components, so you can cut your well to whatever shape you decide.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today. Our number one priority is keeping rabies at bay"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

I'm all for  the '.......Possibly a scoop for some undefined engineering reason.......' :thumbsup:
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

#7
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 01, 2020, 12:03:46 PM
I'm all for  the '.......Possibly a scoop for some undefined engineering reason.......' :thumbsup:

Me too!  There's a lot to be said for gratuitous technobabble.  AAAHH! the joys of the infinitely mutable backstory!!

This device might be of use/interest to members  https://www.scifiideas.com/technobabble-generator/
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Leading Observer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 01, 2020, 11:14:14 AM
TBH, it was one I wanted to do and have yet to get round to.  It was to have been the Supermarine answer to the Mustang Flying Test Bed.

Centaurus goes where the Nene does, the exhaust collected into a single jetpipe and out the back.  Contraprop (Frog/Novo Shattipuss) driven by an extension shaft under the cockpit, the Attacker intakes become the radiator and oil coolers, so you'll need some exit vents.  Possibly a scoop for some undefined engineering reason.  Definitely change the shape of the fin - at least take the fillet off.  If you use ye olde Frog/Novo one, the canopy is awful, so best replaced with something else - Meteor F8?  The wings have no wheel wells but in come in upper and lower components, so you can cut your well to whatever shape you decide.

I think you are talking about using the Attacker fuselage in the above? As the book describes an aircraft with a mid-mounted Napier Sabre engine, I feel the larger/rounder P.75 fuselage would be better "suited" to accommodating such a large lump of metal. I have also found a a spare 4-blade Typhoon prop and spinner from a Hobbyboss kit which matches exactly the front of the Valom P.75, to replace the 6 blade contra-prop. And the P.75 does have a scoop ;D
LO


Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

jcf

The cover of the book on the piston prototype has a profile that looks very Meteorish, as Lee suggested.

Based on the few chapters in the Kindle sample and the description of the construction
methods to be used, the picture that comes to my mind is of a mid-engined MB 5, slab
sided fuselage and all.
"Conspiracy theory's got to be simple.
Sense doesn't come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated crap
actually is than they ever are about
whatever's supposed to be behind the
conspiracy."
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

The Wooksta!

The MB6 "Ferret" comes complete with a spare MB5 fuselage.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today. Our number one priority is keeping rabies at bay"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 05, 2020, 02:42:36 AM
The MB6 "Ferret" comes complete with a spare MB5 fuselage.

Does it ? I've never checked my box of it.

Oh, so it does

Decals my @r$e!

The Wooksta!

The spare fuselage was the only reason I bought the kit - I was vehemently against the release because they could have done something else with the tooling capacity rather than something out and out fictional.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today. Our number one priority is keeping rabies at bay"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Knightflyer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 05, 2020, 03:07:30 AM
The spare fuselage was the only reason I bought the kit - I was vehemently against the release because they could have done something else with the tooling capacity rather than something out and out fictional.

And I know the immediate answer is "whatever you want!" but what sort of wings are most suitable for grafting onto the MB5 fuselage?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Scotaidh

Off-topic post:

BTW, I bought the book for my Kindle - good read!  Thanks for suggesting it.  Now I have to get the paperback for my dad.  :)

Back on-topic:

I've never approved of mid-engined aircraft  because of the danger to the pilot in a crash landing - crushed between the ground and a ton of hot metal, then set on fire.  Not to mention the problems of flat spins caused by the CG being in the middle. 

No thanks!  I'd refuse to fly it.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."