Hot Research Topics > Camouflage, Colors, and Markings

RN FAA Aircraft Colours From The Late '60s

(1/2) > >>

GTX:
Hi folks,

Though this may seem like a JMN type question, I was wondering if any of you could tell me the exact colours used on RN Fleet air Arm aircraft from about the late '60s through to the early '80s?

Regards,

Greg

Geoff_B:
Extra Dark Sea Grey on Upper surfaces, Gloss White lower on Fighter aircraft, Buccaneers went from a similar scheme to overall Extra Dark Sea Grey in the mid 60's.

During the Falklands the white on the Harriers was overpainted in EDSG and this scheme was ratained till the mid 1983 when they went to a Dark Sea Grey Scheme instead. During the War a replacement squadron was equiped with some repainted in the Air Defence schemeof Medium Sea Grey with light aircraft grey under the wings. This was used on the aircraft theat went down on Illustrious to provide Air Defence cover post war but these went back to overall dark scheme after that.

Cheers

Geoff

P1127:

--- Quote --- During the War a replacement squadron was equiped with some repainted in the Air Defence schemeof Medium Sea Grey with light aircraft grey under the wings.
--- End quote ---
Actually Barley (Camouflage) Grey under the wings.

Of course AEW Gannets were EDSG over Sky right up until 1979, and COD Gannets were RAF Blue Grey overall, as were most AS Helicopters, except Lynx, which were Oxford Blue

philp:
Follow up on this for my RN Bearcat.

During the Korean War, was the underside color white or Sky/
Thanks

Nick:
My RN F-18D is EDSG over gloss white, just waiting to put the markings on and touch up the paintwork a bit. The missiles can wait a week or two.

Nick B)  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version