Halftracks (M3, Sdkfz.251, and others) Questions and What-if Ideas?

Started by dy031101, December 14, 2008, 06:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raafif

neat 251/105 !!  Just what the Yugoslavs would have done they did add a Pak58 to a SdKfz.250.

What other oddballs ? maybe a Priest refitted with captured 88mm ?
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

dy031101

Quote from: raafif on November 03, 2011, 04:12:20 PM
neat 251/105 !!  Just what the Yugoslavs would have done they did add a Pak58 to a SdKfz.250.

It's actually 3 inch gun M5 (in keeping with the TD theme), although I only approximated its size and probably did not scale it properly......

An assault howitzer built on captured German halftracks sounds pretty cool though.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

pyro-manic

You might want to think about some visual modifications - I'm not sure the GIs would be very happy about riding around in a German vehicle with Typhoons/P-47s on the prowl.... :o
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

dy031101

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 04, 2011, 01:16:46 PM
You might want to think about some visual modifications - I'm not sure the GIs would be very happy about riding around in a German vehicle with Typhoons/P-47s on the prowl.... :o

Big star on the hood...... still thinking about what else I can do.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

raafif

wondering about the mounting position & recoil forces on the chassis - seems that the US halftrack would take the shock with less bucking as the mount is further forward than in the -251 -- would the -251 buck quite a bit without a good muzzel-brake ?

A 251 re-painted US Drab, big white star in a circle & named the "Rock-a-Billy Rebel" ?
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

As long as its fired fore-and-aft and not athwartships it would work.  Both half-tracks might have problems with recoil and broken axles though, being perhaps too light to absorb the recoil.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Joberg

In the strategy game Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank it has a unit editor. I always liked my up gunned m3s I made with a pedestal mount Orlikon cannon mounted in the front and back of the rear compartment..

Logan Hartke

Here's something I cobbled together recently...

Logan's Profiles - SdKfz 231 Halbkettenfahrzeug

(By the way, I'm posting it in multiple threads since you never know where someone might be looking for inspiration months from now.)

Cheers,

Logan

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

scooter

Some of the discussions on the Captured GB - Inspiration Thread on the Sd.Kfz.7 has gotten me to thinking, and not as part of the thread, about if said halftrack could accommodate a 40mm Bofors, in a mounting similar to the Flak 36/37.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

No reason why not, a US M3 variant mounted a Bofors in a turret, while the official test
versions were abandoned as not feasible, a few of these field expedient vehicles
were built in Australia and used in the Phillipines by a US Army AAA battalion.
"Conspiracy theory's got to be simple.
Sense doesn't come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated crap
actually is than they ever are about
whatever's supposed to be behind the
conspiracy."
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

ysi_maniac

thundereagle1997

M113a5 light tank my f-25 f-53 & f-78 over on armoredryukenshi1984 my account on deviantart

NARSES2

Decals my @r$e!

ysi_maniac