Dettol as a brush cleaner?

Started by The Rat, November 21, 2022, 05:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Picked up some the other day because I think it's more environmentally friendly than other paint strippers like brake fluid. Now thinking about it as a brush cleaner, soaking it to soften up those hard accumulations that sometimes build up at the base of the bristles and in the ferrule. Brushes will need a good soak afterward to clear it all out, but I'm trying it on one. Anyone else done this?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Pineapple is a great pizza topping. Fight me.

PR19_Kit

Yes, I tried it some years ago after reading about it on a model railway web site, and it works pretty well, or it did then anyway.

Of course in the meanwhile some fatuous EU ruling may well have changed the formula and it might not work with the current stuff, but who knows without a trial?
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Are we talking about Dettol the disinfectant ?
Decals my @r$e!

The Wooksta!

Yes. I'm more curious to know if the snide supermarket own brands would do the same trick but at a third the cost.  I mourn the loss of Gary Power spray, as that would take off even Halfords metallics and primer.

I always use Plastic Weld for cleaning stubborn brushes.  It has the added benefit of staining the glue so you know if you've actually used it where it's intended.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today. Our number one priority is keeping rabies at bay"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 22, 2022, 05:55:04 AMI mourn the loss of Gary Power spray, as that would take off even Halfords metallics and primer.

MGary Power spray - what, U-2?  ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/PC-12/Phantom FG1/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Twin Otter/Val/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Sodding Autocorrect!  Should be Fairy Power Spray.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today. Our number one priority is keeping rabies at bay"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 22, 2022, 05:34:54 AMAre we talking about Dettol the disinfectant ?

That's the one! Took me ages to find some on this side of the Atlantic, but now I know a source.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Pineapple is a great pizza topping. Fight me.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Rat on November 22, 2022, 07:37:05 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 22, 2022, 05:34:54 AMAre we talking about Dettol the disinfectant ?

That's the one! Took me ages to find some on this side of the Atlantic, but now I know a source.

Cheers  :thumbsup: . It's the one I have in the house for disinfectant use anyway, so I'll give it a try.
Decals my @r$e!