FW190, blue : primary seaplanes

Started by ericr, April 23, 2015, 01:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Being VERY pedantic, that's not a Sea King, it's a Pelican.  ;D

But Sea Kings can and do float, see below. And they have a central hull with two smaller auxiliary floats too. The Pelican has sponsons rather than floats.

Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 08, 2015, 07:02:43 AM
Being VERY pedantic, that's not a Sea King, it's a Pelican.  ;D

But Sea Kings can and do float, see below. And they have a central hull with two smaller auxiliary floats too. The Pelican has sponsons rather than floats.

ah yes indeed, I was a bit quick in my reply.
Others with a hull include the french Super Frelon and also the russian Mi-14 :
this one unfortunately only exists in 1/72 in hard to find conversion kits?

ericr

recently a discussion about twin-seaters reminded me of the Meteor Prone

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,40060.msg669796.html#msg669796

and so I was induced in acquiring the MPM kit, a lovely one, but although the topic is surprising enough to be nearly whif, I felt it could be improved, not in this case by fitting longer wings (which it does deserve, honestly  ;D ), but by floatplanization.

A motivation was the availability of the AR196 1/48 floats from the kit above : I considered putting both, but that would have looked a bit heavy, so I preferred a central-float layout, like this :

and I noticed the clever bottom-window for the front crew, now nicely in front of the float for full visibility :

Captain Canada

Love that prone Meteor ! Looks super sleek all red like that ! Nice one.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

That's VERY different ericr, terrific build.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

If you'd described that Meteor to me without pictures I'd have said it wouldn't work, but now I see it in the "flesh" it absolutely does. You have a good eye Sir!  :thumbsup:

That TinTin picture made me think about those very early steamships that had steam AND sail: imagine one of those with a very early "box kit" style aeroplane on a catapult...
"We thank you, but this diversion is not true. Things never happened thus."

"Oh, but it IS true. Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are
the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on May 11, 2015, 07:36:55 AM
If you'd described that Meteor to me without pictures I'd have said it wouldn't work, but now I see it in the "flesh" it absolutely does. You have a good eye Sir!  :thumbsup:

Summed up my feelings exactly, and if ever an aircraft screamed out for a pair of eyes and a smiley face  ;D
Decals my @r$e!

ericr

thanks all!

as I said, I had my questionings and doubts, but finally the central-float solution looked good,
very especially in the prone long-nosed version : a real match, in fact  ;D

ericr

and now for something completely different

(but still in the topic of course)

Sometime ago a discussion reminded me of the possibility of three-seater P38, combining Droop and P38M

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,30511.msg681762.html#msg681762

where I learned there actually was one :

so I was fired, and went out to find a P38M by Revell

to which I could not resist adding ... guess what? ... floats : coming from the classical Airfix Ar196,
and the nose comes from some larger glass-nosed aircraft (Dassault Flamant? Pembroke?), so it required to use some putty but it ended up not too badly.

and so here it goes, in yellow :

Tophe

Inspired by your prone float meteor, here are similar mustangs,thank you:

:cheers: :drink: :party: :blink: ;) ;D :o :-X :-\ :mellow: :lol: <_< :unsure: :wacko: :ph34r: :dalek:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

That TinTin picture made me think about those very early steamships that had steam AND sail: imagine one of those with a very early "box kite" style aeroplane on a catapult...

Like the Langley Aerodrome?
It was launched by catapulting from the roof of a houseboat.

wiki page here
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Beauty. Looks lovely like that. Always been intrigued by the glass nosed P-38s.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Yes, your yellow 3-seater P-38M Marine-Lightning is beautiful, thanks ericr! :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

ericr

Quote from: zenrat on May 15, 2015, 08:11:03 PM
That TinTin picture made me think about those very early steamships that had steam AND sail: imagine one of those with a very early "box kite" style aeroplane on a catapult...

that makes me feel like putting a catapult (the 1/72 ones from the Hasegawa floatplane kits) on a just larger 1/72 boat
a lovely base for dioramas ...

ericr

Quote from: ericr on May 16, 2015, 01:44:47 PM
Quote from: zenrat on May 15, 2015, 08:11:03 PM

that makes me feel like putting a catapult (the 1/72 ones from the Hasegawa floatplane kits) on a just larger 1/72 boat
a lovely base for dioramas ...

this is also an example of "minimal" seaplane carrier :