Author Topic: The Wooksta: Not a Spitfire Blog  (Read 24070 times)

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
Re: The Wooksta: Not a Spitfire Blog
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2021, 04:03:24 pm »
"But it says here, Micheal, look "Ensure machine is clean and free from dust."!"

Well, the fuselage of the Thunderbird is together, largely as I've left off the nosecone for now as well as the main gear bay in case the maingears go the same way as the nose gear.  The forward fuselage needed a fair bit of repeat work to get it to blend in and some of the transitions still aren't quite right.  I'll give it a coat of aluminium as a primer as it'll show up any and all flaws.
The maingears have had a good clean up and are as good as they're likely to get and the wing locator tabs are trimmed down to allow the wings to fit a little more snug.
As for the other members of the trio, the 177 has it's wing pylons in place and all the remedial filling is done. The AZ one also has it's pylons and is about ready to prime. The Ursus one isn't too far off either.

I also did some more work on the Rapier, with the small amount of describing done, plus the cannon ports have been grouted out.  Just need to do some work around the canopy base.

Not a lot, but the 187 is taking a lot of sanding.  This is one of the key ones for me, along with the Rapier and the P.8s.  Really want to get it right and do it justice.

Comments go elsewhere, link up thread.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:18:13 am by The Wooksta! »
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner."

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #226 on: October 02, 2021, 09:12:50 pm »
"Because I'm not going to bed tonight."

After a couple of late nights, I'm finally getting somewhere, at least until I added a pair of Fairey Deltas and the P.6 mentioned upthread.  The former were quick to throw together, although one was admittedly part started - a Maquette boxing that I obtained a good twenty years ago.  Some of the parts were too far gone, so I'd intended it as an in flight model, but I found another FD2 that was in the loft where I'd chopped the fuselage with the intention of lengthening it as a possible ER.103C.  Never did and the bits went back in the box, so it got raided.

One of the FD2s is going with the Empire Test Pilots School in the fetching red/aluminium scheme but the other is getting Firestreaks, belly tank, some intakes and blisters plus a Phantom tail mounted RWR.  Needs a bit of sanding and the u/c on and it's ready for primer.  That one is going in the late Lightning scheme with the three greys and possibly the black fin and spine of 11 Sqn.

The P6 is a bit more involved, basically trying to install something resembling a cockpit.  The resin Lightning one I had simply wouldn't fit, so I resorted again to a Hunter tub as I've at least one spare.  It's not right for a LIghtning but the P6 isn't quite a Lightning, and it'll be painted black anyway.  There's a complex mish mash of sprue and plastic holding it in place, before I added some lead to weight the nose and filled it with PVA to hold it all in place.  Like the current tranche of P8s, it's getting the late fin and a belly tank.  Need to check the drawings again to find out where the guns go.  I think the missile fit may have to be moved to the wingtips, so I need to either modify the Airfix ones, or go for the developed kinked wing of the F6 - I have a Hasegawa one spare.  However, on second thoughts, the missiles could go under the wing instead and I use the Lightning F1 tailfin instead.  The kinked wing and bigger fin could go on the P.6 F2, which would have the area ruled rear fuselage too, based on wind tunnel data from the P8 programme, which conveniently explains away the Su7 fuselage used as a basis.  That's for the future, unless I can find an hour or two spare to chop up the Su7 fuselage I have kicking about.  And that one could go in the Indian Air Force Thunderbirds scheme to mess with people's heads.  Sounds like a plan...

One of the P8s *finally* got it's wings on yesterday, the yawning chasms at the roots being filled with the current filler of choice, sanded back and then refilled with the Revell stuff.  The other two still need the control surfaces scribed on and I'm not looking forward to that.

And finally, progress on the SR187.  Slow, in a word.  I gave it a coat of Silver as a primer to show up all the flaws, of which there were many.  Filled and sanded back, I think I have most of the transitions sorted out but another coat this morning revealed a few that I'd missed, so yet more filling and I haven't even got the wings on yet.  Sanding this beast is problematical with the printed integral u/c and doors, so I can't manhandle it as easily as say an assembled but unfilled Lancaster (size comparison), and all the odd transitions, especially underneath, make it even more complex.  Valuable lessons are being learned for a possible second one as I'd like to do one in the greys.  I'd really like to see one finished in overall Aluminium with glossy type D roundels and one of the colourful 60s schemes.

So, a final week of assembly and tinkering, before a few days of priming and remedial work so everything is ready for the paintshop.

Comments for those who can be added to reply go here:
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=35118

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

The Plan:

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #227 on: October 03, 2021, 03:46:40 pm »
"Right, here it goes."

Finally!  Having procrastinated and prevaricated for far too seriously long enough by half, I now have the wings of both single and two seater P.8s rescribed. Didn't take too long and much of the time was taken by making a scribing template - take a scrap 72nd plan of a Lightning F6 wing, glue to plastic card,. Cut out shape and then remove the flaps and ailerons. Bingo, template to scribe the wings.

Apart from a modicum of sanding to the locator tabs to get a better fit, all I need to do now is glue them in place and fill the remaining gap..

Finally, having taken a few more shots of the P.187, I can get on with doing what hopefully be the last bout of filling and sanding. I really want to get the wings on it soon as time is running down.

Comments go elsewhere for those who can be arsed. Link up thread.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:32:20 am by The Wooksta! »

The Plan:

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2021, 03:31:04 pm »
"Brilliant. We are now completely self-sufficient in fertiliser."

Finally, having made the mould box last week, I get the rubber poured on an upgrade set for the P8. I've already got the fin moulds and the belly tank was done years back. Basically, it comprises some blisters and the IFR fairing.  Not all the planned P.8s will have them, but most will, so having the mould is handy.

I did a few other mould too, the wings for the P1081 that I've been needing since last year, although these aren't in this year's Plan.  I'm largely concentrating on Lightning and a few related types, with Alistair's 3d printed stuff having priority, along with the early Lightning design and the Supermarine Type 545.
Other than the P6, more of which later, everything is ready for a primer coat to find any remaining flaws. Day or two of tweaking and then out with the airbrush. Very few are using rattle cans, although the undersides of many are in Aluminium. Good job I got a few cans as few weeks back, whilst also stocking up on various Xtracrylic colours.

The P.6 had the fuselage closed up on Wednesday, with much of the sanding and filling done yesterday after the spine and belly tank went on. Showed it off to widescale rapturous apathy to some friends this morning and the flying surfaces went on earlier, with filler being applied soon after. It's looking good so far and I'm looking forward to getting some paint on it.  Admittedly, it'll be a rattle can - Halfords Aluminium - but I'm undecided as to a unit. Obviously, it'll be a Lightning one, but which one?  I have a few obscure units in mind for which I have the decals, but I've got too much choice.
The major sanding for that will be done tomorrow.

The P.8s finally have their canopies on. There's some minor filling needing doing, but the primer should highlight it. Units are decided and the decals are obtained.

The SR.187 is just about done, after a week of sanding and filling. For the next one - and there will be a second, but greys or earlier in Aluminium is as yet to be decided - I'll build it differently to avoid many of the difficulties encountered with this one. Leaving off the tail section until the rest of the fuselage is done and filled is certainly one approach I'll be taking. 
As it is, I've found it challenging, in a good way, but also very frustrating because it's taking so long. Still, I'm on the last or at least the penultimate lap, with a final primer coat of Aluminium going on to show the flaws in filling the wing roots.  I'm looking forward to getting some paint on it.

Comments for those vaguely interested and can be arsed to reply go in the other thread, link is in a previous post.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:33:14 am by The Wooksta! »

The Plan:

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2021, 11:53:35 am »
"Well, don't worry, Rick! It wouldn't have worked anyway!"

I am unhappy. I spent quite some time trying to fair in a radar warning receiver onto the AW58 Delta, only to realise that it didn't fit in with the decals I'm planning, so it got snapped off.  Still need to do a modicum of sanding to it and then a final primer coat.

I have finally got a proper primer coat, albeit Aluminium, onto the P.187.  Most of the transitions on the fuselage look fantastic, like they weren't there, but underneath still needs some filler work, plus the tail section will need a fair bit of sanding to remove print artifacts in certain areas, not to mention the sodding great crack that reappeared, left over from the minor accident it had a week ago.  It sounds worse than it is, most of them are relatively minor, but just niggling enough to be annoying.

The P8s are now masked, the canopies have had an undercoat of black and ready for a final primer coat.  The results of that will dictate if I can get some paint on tomorrow.  I think I've worked out how to do one, possibly two, of the grey schemes.  One is going to look quite colourful and I have the decals after a good number of mis-steps and purchases of many Modeldecal sheets from ebay.  Those won't get wasted, as there's enough markings to keep me sorted for RAF whiffs for some time.

The P6 had a jolly good sanding yesterday and it looks very smooth.  Really happy with it, so a final primer coat of Aluminium to highlight any flaws and I can get the area around the canopy tidied up.  Still unsure of a unit, possibly one of the Lightning F3 units or maybe a Hunter one instead?  I have plenty of choice from the latter, less so for the former and they are sexy squadrons, a definite no-no.

Having had to pack stuff, I've realised that a good third of the build programme will have to be cut back.  I don't want to go over the two standard boxes because this year there's four in the car, one of whom is in a wheelchair, so I'm unsure about the space I'll be getting.  I can't get as many Lightnings into a box as I can Spitfires - 5 as opposed to ten - and obviously, I'm having to prioritise.  The 3d printed stuff is a must so the P8s, Aw58 Delta, SR.187, the trio of Saro 53 and 177 are too.  Then there's the Rapier, the P6, a pair of Swifts, a Type 545, a pair of Hunters and possibly a pair of FD2s.  Even with my tessellation skills, still as sharp as ever, I doubt I can get that lot into two boxes, so I may have to resort to being sneaky.  The ice cream box Alistair sent the SR187 in may be employed for the Saro types, leaving t'other boxes for everything else.

Some of those on the priority list - the Swifts, Type 545 and the Hunters - are holdovers from last year.  One of the Swifts has been stalled for some time.  I know what markings I'm using for the Hunters and it may look a bit more real world than perhaps it should, so it may confuse the unwary.  Which is nice.

Having to cut back is a possibly good thing - less spraying, less masking and less decalling - especially with time running short.  However, it does mean that quite a few of these could end up by the wayside.  Again. 

Thankfully, my V-Bombers are in hibernation, because that could set some very large cats amongst the pigeons.

Comments for those vaguely interested and can be arsed to reply go here:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:55:10 am by The Wooksta! »

The Plan:

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2021, 12:13:11 pm »
"Is this some sort of sick joke? Why isn't supper ready? You haven't done a bloody thing, have you, Neil?!"

Well, actually, no.  I haven't started spraying yet.  I'm a week behind but I have more time on my hands than I planned, so it's not all bad.  I have actually got a primer coat on pretty much everything bar one, although then again...

The primer has, as is usual, thrown up a whole range of flaws in pretty much everything, but it's never quite as easy as it sounds.  Bit of filler here, some sanding there, and more worryingly, why wasn't that seam glued properly?  It looks worse than it is, but it is frustrating. Shouldn't take too long to apply all the filler and sand it back tomorrow.

The P.187 is still showing minor niggles and flaws here and there, although the finish is by and large really good.  It's about 75% there, but I'd be much happier with 95%.  Still a few holes to fill and some print artifacts that stubbornly refuse to go, especially around the airbrakes.  I really need to make a template of those for the second one - which is ordered and hopefully in the post tomorrow - and I'll sand the whole area smooth, then simply apply the airbrakes made from very thin plastic card.  It does look very impressive in bare Aluminium, so much so I'm very, very tempted with a third...

Lightnings and nearly Lightnings.  I did finally fix the seam on the VG single seater, so that may get decalled with the others, even though it's not going.  It's just one I want finished.  The trio of 3d printed P.8s have some niggling flaws too, but I really expected them, as with the one bodged together from a solid resin fuselage. The Rapier needs a fair bit of remedial work, especially underneath where the belly tank was - you never get a proper smooth finish with a large area of superglue and baking soda.  I really should have given it a skim of normal filler.

But the P.6 is the real surprise.  The silver primer has thrown up the usual niggles, especially the panel lines from it's former incarnation, but the paint has really transformed it and it looks something else entirely.  It doesn't really look like a Lightning on a diet, but more like a MiG 21 mutant on steroids.  It does look very aggressive, very Soviet, so much so I was almost tempted to give it Russian markings and say it was repainted for a starring role in a Bond film, but then what purports to be sanity in Wooksta Towers finally took a tenous grasp.  I still don't know what unit I want to do it with.

I went looking for a box of bits, thinking that there was some P.1121 tanks in it.  When I finally find it, they weren't there, but it did give me some large Hunter tanks that are going on a Sea Vixen, a white metal nosegear that'll go on the P.6 and a number of bang seats.  Two were painted, a mk3 and a mk 4, the other two less so.  One may go in the Vixen, but the mk 4 is going in the P.6.  I was also looking for an Aeroclub Sea Vixen upgrade set that I knew I'd seen recently and that turned up in a box of Venoms.  The one I did last year got another coat of Aluminium whilst I had the can to hand.  Again, not part of Plan V3.0, but moving along never hurts.

The search also turned up some of the bits which need to go on a primed Sea Vixen that is going to get finished off as it's a simple scheme of overall Extra Dark Sea Grey.  I also took another look at the P.1121 and the offending areas are not that bad, being underneath.  A smidge of filler, some minor sanding and a good clean and we're good to go.  I'll see how much time I have left once the main builds are done, although I have some design work that I need to get on with.  The client has signed off on the master template design, so I can crack on there when time allows .

Looking at the stalled Swift F7 I realised that the nosecone was all to cock paintwise which necessitated a bit of a respray, after masking the rest of with a shortcut of a plastic bag and some masking tape.  A tad sanding and then I can *finally* get the remaining decals on and varnish it.  There's a few other things that need sorting out for it, but they're minor.

Still much to do, but I have reached a significant point, so I do feel much happier.

Comments for those still remotely and vaguely interested and can be arsed to reply go here:

The Plan:

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
« Reply #231 on: Yesterday at 07:12:58 am »
"Ah hah! Gotcha, gotcha, gotcha! Driving instructor my bottom! You're a vampire and there's no denying it!"

No, still not started spraying yet.  I am stuck in an endless Sisyphian Mobius loop of fill, sand, prime, find more flaws, fill, sand, etc ad bleedin nauseum 2.99999 recurring.  The 3d printed ones are the worst offenders, because my own drive for perfection, not to mention maintaining my reputation as "The Sandmaster", is at the root of it.  Some have at least three primer coats - the SR.187 very probably more - and I know I've yet to apply the final one.  The latter, being partly in Aluminium as the final camo scheme, needs to be smooth and I'm still finding flaws where I'd thought I'd fixed it.  The P.6 is a similar case, but that's nearly there or will be once the pylons are on the wings.  There are a few other issues with it, but not that many.  Thankfully.  Sooner or later, I have to say enough, and that point is rapidly approaching.

There's also all the tiny jobs to do before I can get canopies on, such as bang seats.  It's been a long time since I've done 50s jets - the Attackers all had solid hoods and any Meteors never had bang seats to start with.  Again, another loop.  Doesn't help when the aftermarket ones I have - Aeroclub - don't fit.  The Ursus SR53 being a case in point.  The canopy wouldn't close, so I had to cast around for a replacement.  Eventually, I found something ropey but useable from the Hasegawa Lightning.  Still too tall, so I cut the base off, shortened it and glued it back together, then added some bits of plastic card as cushions and tape straps.  Part painted, it looks pretty decent so will look fine when finished under what is laughably called a canopy.  By contrast with my bodge job, the kit one AZ provide is markedly inferior, but I'll be using it anyway.

Other issues are bits deciding to go walkies, such as the canopy for the FDII.  I thought I could bodge a replacement, but that didn't work, so started casting about to try and get another kit.  Then I had a brainwave, remembering where the bits had been originally.  That box had been cleared but I knew which one it had been tipped into, so after a quick look, there it was.  Once that was dipped in Kleer, I went to find the other bit and that had vanished...

It's all grinding along, but seems to be glacially slow.  Sod this, I'm bored. 

I'm going for a Twix...

Comments for those still remotely and vaguely interested and can be arsed to reply go here:
« Last Edit: Today at 06:20:56 am by The Wooksta! »

The Plan: