GROUP BUILDS > Za Rodinu - The Anthony P Memorial Build

McGreig's Gallery of Failure - Spitfire Seaplane & Yak-3 Now Finished

<< < (2/4) > >>

McGreig:

--- Quote from: NARSES2 on June 30, 2014, 07:17:24 am ---I'm treating this thread as possible's mate
--- End quote ---

OK, that makes life simpler. I'll just add these two - the He-162 for the obvious reason that it's as near finished as the Spitfire, Yak and Wildcat, and the MiG-21 for the not-so-obvious reason that I've just acquired all the parts that I need to finish it.

Now we'll see how many of these I actually finish in the next month  ;D

Weaver:
More like McGreig's Gallery of Endless Potential!  :thumbsup:

Good luck with all of these excellent projects.

McColm:
Looking good.

McGreig:
Soviet Spitfire Seaplane:

In 1946 the Border Guards Flight of the Baltic Fleet was using captured Arado Ar-196 seaplanes. These had been captured in Finland and Bulgaria at the end of the war and were far from new when the Russians began to use them.

Unfortunately, replacing these machines was not a high priority and most aeronautical funding was directed to the rapid development of front-line jet fighters and bombers.

However, the USSR had been sent approximately 1,200 Mk.IX Spitfires in 1944 and 1945 and many of these had relatively few hours on the airframe and were almost new. TsAGI, the Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute, was aware of British experiments with float equipped Spitfires and suggested that, although a single seater, a float equipped Spitfire might be a suitable replacement for the Ar-196.

This proposal was attractive for several reasons. The Spitfire was relatively modern but was obsolescent as a fighter and , therefore, available for conversion. The airframes were in good condition, spare parts were plentiful given the number of Spitfires available and the cost of conversion was expected to be minimal.

Once the go-ahead was given, the Beriev Bureau at Taganrog was given the task of converting the Spitfires into floatplanes. Originally it was proposed to adapt floats from either the Arados themselves or from the Beriev KOR-2 seaplane. However, in the end, new floats were designed and manufactured at Taganrog.

Twenty Spitfires were converted and these served with the Baltic Fleet until 1953.

This is the Airfix 1/72 Mk.IX converted into a floatplane by using the floats from the PM Mk,V kit. The beaching trolley is a white metal item from the long-gone Esoteric Models.

And in reality, there were no Soviet Spitfire seaplanes and it was the venerable Arados that served until 1953!

comrade harps:
That float spitfire is lovely  :wub:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version