Author Topic: The Captured G.B. - Finished Builds  (Read 2069 times)

Offline kitbasher

• What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • bashes kits
Re: The Captured G.B. - Finished Builds - Focke-Wulf FW190D-15
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2021, 01:49:05 pm »
Focke-Wulf FW190D-15 Air Min11 (ex-150168), as seen at the German Aircraft Exhibition, RAE Farnborough October 1945.

Not so much a backstory, more an explanation.  I stumbled across the FW190D-15  many years ago on a modelling site called SMAKR (which I think stood for 'Scale Model Aircraft Kit Review'), which I don't think is still around.  I was struck by it's looks - elegant but a bit beefier than a D-9 for some reason - it must be the fin and rudder, I don't know.  There's not much info out there on the D-15, a lot of it is contradictory, not least in terms of armament.  Some claim the D-15 was an actual design but didn't enter production, others that several were actually built and cite Wk Nrs - seems no one really knows.
I've a Revell repop of the FROG Ta154H that I wanted to repaint using the Freightdog decals for the real Air Min 11, plus all the bits for a D-15 that had languished in the stash for ages for an in-service whif.  Then along came this GB and I thought why not?  Another stash demon exorcised!
So here we have a model of a type that may or may not have existed, finished in the colours of a type that did and was displayed at Farnborough in 1945.  My Air Min 11 follows the Freightdog colour scheme of RLM76 Lichtblau undersides, RLM81 Braunviolett + RLM82 Lichtgrun topsides and RLM83 Dunkelgrun engine cowlings and overpainted wing markings.  I departed from the instructions by using RLM02 Grau to overpaint the fuselage, fin and underwing markings (Freightdog says Humbrol 64) on the assumption that captured RLM colours would be used to overpaint German markings rather than Allied paints, and that my Xtracolor RLM63 looked far too light for the job.

So, Air Min 11 was captured at Leck, having previously operated with JG301 as Green 9.  It was delivered to Farnborough in August 1945 and featured in October's German Aircraft Exhibition.  Air Min 11 was briefly test flown at Farnborough, but scrapped in 1946.  The number of FW190D-15s actually built and flew with the Luftwaffe is unknown, certainly very few.

Build and more pics at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=48535.msg901888#msg901888.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:58:04 pm by kitbasher »
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Arrow/Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco GA.1/Barracuda/CASA 2.217/Corsair GR1/EE P12/Hawker P1067/Hellcat IV/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/Phantom FG1/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Val/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter/Twin Otter

Offline wacek85

• Makes own decals
Re: The Captured G.B. - Finished Builds
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2021, 01:56:55 pm »
In 2002, in Swidwin, 1st Tactical Wing there were classified excercises under codename "Eastern Surprise 2002". After NATO accepted Poland to it's structures, eastern polish border become also eastern border of NATO. It became clear that forces of fast response are more than needed, as soon as posssible. So polish Su-22's trained with british, american, australian, french and german airplanes in order to work out a way to cooperate in case of possible conflict. Su-22 in 2002 was already obsolete so it was important to know it's eventual strenghts in combat.
After whole maneouvers all planes got bact to home bases...except two australian F-111's. Probably their pilots flew home onboard C-17. Why they forgotten their "Pigs" , is unknown.
It's possible that airplanes were lost during evening bridge game. Someone had bet too much...
When crew of 1st TW found that they had two airplanes more, they tried to return them. Why this offer wasn't accepted is also unknown. F-111 were fully operational. Airplanes have been repainted and put into service with Su-22.
One of them was named "Wizard of Oz" to emhasize it's performance and combat capability and to give a little light on it's origin. The "Wizard of Oz" was later given an 302nd Polish Squadron badge when visited 3rd Tactical Air Wing based in Poznan.

Offline Glenn Gilbertson

• Had fish & chips in Hull once
  • Remembers when Airfix kits cost 2s (0.10)
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2021, 05:37:48 pm »

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2021, 07:42:31 pm »
Federation captured Klingon Bird of Prey.

Old 80's AMT kit from the Three Piece Adversary Set. I can't recall the scale. The SIZE, however, is small. Fits in the palm of your hand. I hand painted it all with paintbrushes.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=48861.0
-Sprues McDuck-