Author Topic: Nick's Notes  (Read 30075 times)

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
Re: Nick's Notes
« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2021, 03:51:23 pm »
Can't get Scalemates on the Mac I use but from memory, quite probably.

But apparently if's whiffworld and you can do anything.  Even though I always think it's a lazy way of cheating and what it really says is "I can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right."

I might have a spare set of the SAM sheet somewhere. The roundels may be shot but the letters/codes could still be okay.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner."

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2021, 04:15:32 pm »
Can't get Scalemates on the Mac I use but from memory, quite probably.

But apparently if's whiffworld and you can do anything.  Even though I always think it's a lazy way of cheating and what it really says is "I can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right."

I might have a spare set of the SAM sheet somewhere. The roundels may be shot but the letters/codes could still be okay.

Thanks but don't worry about it. I'll focus on building this beast first.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: July 20, 2021, 05:46:03 am »

In other news: I am self-isolating for the next 4 days.
The Covid app pinged just now and says I've been in close contact with someone who has Covid so no going anywhere for the next 4 days. Must have been somebody on the Tube for me to have been near them for more than 15 minutes. Typically this is happening at the start of my 'shift weekend' so I only gain one extra day off.

Apparently if you are pinged by the Covid app it's only advisory, but if the Test and Trace people get hold of you it's a legal requirement. Just been on the lunchtime News.  I don't get it either, but that's the law ?

Decals my @r$e!

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
« Reply #333 on: July 20, 2021, 08:09:32 am »
That "green-blue" Neptune cammo does IMHO not look THAT garish in real life - even though this is apperently a museum exhibit so the tones might not be authentic:

Almost looks like light slate grey (Humbrol 31) and Dark Sea Grey or FS 35164 (Humbrol 164 or 144)?

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
« Reply #334 on: July 20, 2021, 08:13:52 am »
As an addendum, I found a color reference for this scheme:

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #335 on: July 20, 2021, 08:40:14 am »
Looks like an almost RAF scheme.

Blackbird did a sheet for Argentinian Neptunes, which may be current. Check his website. He's got at least one on his eBay store.

I've a feeling I may have the Xtradecal as a partial sheet but can't check for a few days. Yours if I find it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:59:36 am by The Wooksta! »
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner."

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #336 on: July 23, 2021, 12:41:32 pm »
I had a frustrating afternoon while trying to mask up a pair of Phantoms for SEA camo. They've been sat by the side for 5 years now so I want them out of the way, plus they'll look good together at Telford.

Problem 1: The white tack I was using wouldn't adhere to the model. It was cheap and old but still stuck to my fingers and tools instead.  :banghead:
Problem 2: The drawing I'm looking at doesn't line up between the different side and overhead views. https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-4/f-4_profile02.shtml

Life is too short for this hassle. So I ordered a set of LF Models SEA camo masks from Hannants.