Author Topic: Out of Retirement - Discussion thread  (Read 8801 times)

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Out of Retirement - Discussion thread
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2019, 05:10:47 am »
I have an idea for a steam loco sent to the scrap yard in 1964 and later found in the 1990s under a pile of junk. Restored and put back into service on a preserved steam line. Wearing a new/retro style livery.

What do you think of this?

:thumbsup:

But to tweak it a bit. How about during one of the oil shortages of the period a still nationalised B.R. bring it back into service to run on one of the cross-country routes ? You could then have them trawling museums and preservation societies for more of the lovely old things  :thumbsup:

That is one of my ideas - but the kit I'd use for that is half done already.
I'm thinking of something a little different, the kit arrives next week.  ;)

Have you read John Gardner's Golgotha? It's set in a 1970s where the USSR has taken all of Europe and Britain surrendered. The oil crisis leads to steam trains making a comeback.

Offline McColm

« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2019, 05:13:13 am »
A Chinese retro model of the Wolseley Hornet or Riley Elf based on the BMW Mini Cooper seems doable.  Got the Revell 1/24 kit in the stash. Changes to the front grill and interior,  although those alloys may need changing as well.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2019, 06:05:10 am »

Have you read John Gardner's Golgotha? It's set in a 1970s where the USSR has taken all of Europe and Britain surrendered. The oil crisis leads to steam trains making a comeback.

Not one I'm familiar with
Decals my @r$e!

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2019, 09:56:17 am »

I'm with you on this, having already suggested  certain BR steam locos in current liveries.   DRS liveried Garrett, anyone ?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=drs+livery&FORM=HDRSC2  DRS livery

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=garrett+locomotive&qs=CustomSearch&pq=garrett+loco&sc=8-12&cvid=9D35537DF3254302A6B66214BDEDD594&sp=1&form=QBIR  Garrett loco.

Hmmmm, I have an unbuilt Kitmaster Garrett in The Loft too, along with at least one of all the other Kitmasters as well.

I rather fancy the idea of a Battle of Britain Class Bullied Pacific decked out in a modern day Southwest Trains Class 444 livery.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline kitbasher

• What-IF SIG
  • bashes kits
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2019, 02:53:20 pm »
Iíve an idea for this GB.  Wasnít going to join but I may.  Involves a Ďrejuvenationí of an existing build, so I guess thatís sort of being taken out of retirement in itself.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Arrow/Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco GA.1/Barracuda/CASA 2.217/Corsair GR1/EE P12/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR.11/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/RF-47N/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Twin Otter/Val/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Offline McColm

« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2019, 12:05:11 pm »
I'm going with the revised 'BAe Nimrod MR.2P Plus' as India isn't too happy about the P-8 as some of the systems aren't performing as well as they predicted on the Boeing 737 aircraft.
Although the Nimrod AEW.3 never made it into service the idea of fitting a rotating radome only got as far as the concept stage,  the A-50 AWACS platform is also under review and a different aircraft is being sort after but using the avionics and software .

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2020, 07:14:16 am »
Just a couple of weeks to go lads and lasses.
Decals my @r$e!

Offline kerick

« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2020, 10:59:22 pm »
Wouldn't most of the Area 88 machines qualify for this?
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2020, 01:35:41 am »

Some would.  You'd have to check their retirement status.  MiG 21 for example.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian AF were still operating some of them in which case it has not been retired by it's initial user yet and so doesn't qualify.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Offline scooter

« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2020, 02:14:00 am »

Some would.  You'd have to check their retirement status.  MiG 21 for example.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian AF were still operating some of them in which case it has not been retired by it's initial user yet and so doesn't qualify.

Morris's T-6 definitely and Nguyen Van Com's F-105 more likely than not qualify.  But everyone else is flying fairly modern birds. 
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
ó Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2020, 06:28:19 am »
Gentlemen, many apologies but I am  away from home at the moment and my notepad is being non co-operative. I have locked the finished builds and will sort the rest out next Tuesday.

Once again apologies

Chris
Decals my @r$e!