London Underground trains to carry freight

Started by McColm, September 11, 2022, 06:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Now that more London Underground and Overground stations have stepfree access (lifts) it seems to me that the tube lines could used to carry freight. Nothing too bulky, but parcels or drinks could be incorporated into the carriages.
The freight operations could be used after the last train and 45 minutes before the first train is scheduled for passenger usage. Over time especially designed carriages would be used. A network of vans would then be loaded up with the goods for the destinations.

NARSES2

It could work although more lines are now becoming a 24 hour service (is that just weekends ?) and of course the Royal Mail used to have its own dedicated line back in the 50/60's.' I think the main problem is that the down time is used for track and signal maintenance.
Decals my @r$e!

scooter

Apparently, that helped the Met make money until commuter service was even more profitable than freight, and the District Line tried as well (including "fresh" fish before rush hour).

Check out Jago Hazzard's YT page.  He talks about all sorts of Underground, Overground, DLR history.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

Quote from: scooter on September 11, 2022, 08:15:09 AMApparently, that helped the Met make money until commuter service was even more profitable than freight, and the District Line tried as well (including "fresh" fish before rush hour).

Check out Jago Hazzard's YT page.  He talks about all sorts of Underground, Overground, DLR history.

Jago release a video today about Fish and Chips in which he gives the history of Fish transportation on the tube in it's early days. So nothing new and the point about maintenance and repair is also extremely important.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

perttime

Dedicated carriages on existing lines might work. Or carriages that are half passenger / half cargo. Load a largish container, put it on the dedicated carriage, remove the container at destination.

What about infrastructure at the stations?

jcf

"Conspiracy theory's got to be simple.
Sense doesn't come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated crap
actually is than they ever are about
whatever's supposed to be behind the
conspiracy."
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

kerick

Chicago has a tunnel running under most of downtown that in the old days carried coal to the large buildings instead of trucking it through the city streets. It's now used for electrical and communication cables today. It was a huge mess when several years ago a work crew on the Chicago River drove a piling through the top of the tunnel and flooded the basements of all the downtown buildings. The Great Chicago Flood.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

McColm

Quote from: Gondor on September 11, 2022, 10:09:41 AM
Quote from: scooter on September 11, 2022, 08:15:09 AMApparently, that helped the Met make money until commuter service was even more profitable than freight, and the District Line tried as well (including "fresh" fish before rush hour).

Jago release a video today about Fish and Chips in which he gives the history of Fish transportation on the tube in it's early days. So nothing new and the point about maintenance and repair is also extremely important.

Gondor
Those were the days when the District Line ran all the way to Southend.

NARSES2

Quote from: perttime on September 11, 2022, 12:06:34 PMWhat about infrastructure at the stations?

That would be a major problem, perhaps insurmountable for the "underground" ones, but a surprising amount, perhaps more than half, is above ground, so you might be able to do something. Obviously the many depots could be used.
Decals my @r$e!

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on September 12, 2022, 12:13:02 AMThose were the days when the District Line ran all the way to Southend.

No, it was way before then.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....