Nils's WHIF activity blog

Started by Nils, October 20, 2012, 02:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nils

Blog Entry #317

wow, 4 months since the last update? time for a new one.
there hasnt been much progress lately due to lack of free time, something thats been gnawing on me.
i havent started the Charity build yet, still looking to free up space.

right now, i have a number of projects on the go:

-2 x 1/144 SAAB Gripens (was 3, but i already broke 3 spare canopies, so i decided to give up on the 3rd)
-1 x 1/144 Piper Enforcer (conversion, still awaiting paint)
-2 x 1/144 T-38D Super Talon (converted mini hobby models F-20 Tigersharks)

also, paint stripped of older models for restoration:

-Minicraft 1/144 B-26 Marauder
-Dragon 1/144 A-6E Intruder
-Dragon 1/144 Kfir C.2 (to be repainted in Area 88 colors)
-Minicraft  1/144 Sea Harrier FRS.1 (to be repainted in Area 88 colors)

there are also other projects on the planning, mostly 1/144 in a mix of realworld and Whiff subjects.
one project im in the progress of designing decals for, is a Swiss Messerschmitt Bf110. im also looking into designing some decals for a number of 1/144 armour and other ground vehicles.
but designing has hit a snag lately as for the past few days now, my PC is on the fritz. it started saturday with my scanner failing, took me 2 hours and a lot of swearing to fix that issue. then sunday it got worse, as my PC refused to boot up (i blame the new driver updates from HP for my scanner/printer). so i have started making backups of everything as not to loose all my work.

spreaking of which, i have started a new side hobby, with inbox review video's currently on the back burner, i started a new youtube channel dedicated to Belgian aviation history (see my first video here) its still in an early stage, its still a learnign experience to make video's like these. one thing i learned is to write a script first, as not to start mumbling.

EDIT:

i almost forgot to mention, im redesigning and reorganising my workspace as im struggling to find space for the new tools i gotten recently, also looking at replacing smaller drawer units with bigger ones and im reorganising the direct workbench ittself to have the mostly used items in hands reach. aside from that, im lookign to make a small downstairs toolbox (with all the basic building neccesities) to do some modelbuilding in the kitchen when i have free time.

more soon...
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Good to see the update Nils  :thumbsup:

Best of luck with the video channel
Decals my @r$e!

Nils

Blog Entry #318: workbench: reborn!

little to nothing has happened since the last blog entry, due to lack of time and family priorities.
the biggest problem was the enormous ammount of workbench clutter, with my little corner of the master bedroom being used as a storage space, making any modeling work almost impossible.

its now my last week of my 3.5 weeks vacationtime and i finally found the time to do something about it.
the biggest problem i have (since losing my mancave) is the lack of space, so i invested some of my hobbybudget into space-winning.

First, i bought a set of 4 furniture legs on Amazon and used them to raise my topsection of the main workbench, freeing up space underneath for larger tools and building accesories. with the space ive won, i was able to make a place for WIP-builds to dry on the top section. i also ordered a new set of drawers for the bedroom and im reusing the old ones to store my powertools.

this is how it looks now, still a work in progress, but i can work with this  :mellow:...

second, i ordered a bookshelf to move the library to the top of the display table/holding area, freeing space in the cabinets under the table for stash storage (for soon to be built models).
on top of the bookshelf, you can see my Area 88 airbase diorama (still a work in progress).

dont mind the bottle of vinegar and the spice bottle, thats just a mix to keep the wasps outside while ventilating the room.

next on my mid-term to-do list, is make a new DIY spraybooth.

progresswise, i had to cancel a number of builds as i took a bit too much on my plate.
im also been asked to build another 1/72 Sea King on commision, this time on demand by someone from the 40th
squadron at Koksijde Air Base, as part of a gift for the former base commander, who was forced to retire for medical reasons. for this build, im expected to recieve samples of the original paints that were used on the real Sea Kings (that were retired from service in 2019). so that's something to look forward to.  ;)

ove also been putting a bit of time into my other hobby, my new Youtube Channel, "Belgium's Flying Past", which is unexpectedly starting to become a big success. i think you will find my latest video quite interesting for WHIF ideas.  :mellow:

im still working on other modelling projects aswell, as ive started looking into more 1/144 scale ww2 warbirds, including a Swiss Bf110, and many others. i have put a list on paper, but its too much to sum up right now.

more soon....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Decals my @r$e!