Hot Research Topics > Weapon Systems. Real and Imagined.

Redtop missile colours

(1/3) > >>

chrisonord:
I  have been  looking at  redtop missiles and noticed that there are a few different  colours used on them. I  was going  to paint  a pair  I  am going to  stick on a viggen , white  but I  don't think they  ever  were  white  by what I  have seen.  I  have  seen some  in different  shades of  grey  and green  as well as hemp , but also  what  looks like a  metallic light grey colour. I  am putting the  ones I  have on a mid seventies aircraft, so what  scheme would  be a more  accurate one . Cheers
Chris.

Weaver:
You could just sidestep the whole issue: the Swedes seem, at least some of the time, to have painted their missiles in their own colour scheme, usually an overall green shade.

IIRC, RAF Red Tops had silver-grey (bare metal?) bodies and white or green wings.

Gondor:
This may have the answer you are looking for, but I agree about the overall green.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064432-red-top-missile-colours-raf-1970s/

Gondor

chrisonord:

--- Quote from: Weaver on June 03, 2020, 09:52:54 am ---You could just sidestep the whole issue: the Swedes seem, at least some of the time, to have painted their missiles in their own colour scheme, usually an overall green shade.

--- End quote ---
Cheers  H
I am doing the Viggen as an RAF  aircraft  based in Germany during the 70's.  It will have  a wraparound camouflage  too which  I am not sure  the RAF  used that scheme  in the 70's  either, but mine will  have it. Load out  will be two  tanks two red tops and a we177B
Chris

Weaver:
On Swedish Viggens only the centreline pylon was plumbed for a fuel tank. No reason you couldn't whiff an RAF one into having wet wing pylons, of course.

If it was on a nuclear-strike mission, I'd think an ECM pod and a chaff pod would be more likely than a pair of heavy, draggy Red Tops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version