Hot Research Topics > Weapon Systems. Real and Imagined.

Carl Gustav 84mm Recoilless Rifle

(1/15) > >>

Weaver:

--- Quote from: rickshaw on August 26, 2009, 02:52:53 am ---
--- Quote from: Mossie on August 26, 2009, 01:25:49 am ---Is this why the Carl Gustav remains popular?  Being man portable, you can fire off a round, then leg-it quickly before you get the comeback.

--- End quote ---

Man portable is a relative term at the best of times.  The L35 was pretty damn heavy at IIRC 35 lbs and each round weighing about 10 lbs each.  It wasn't something you threw around although I'm sure that if it was a two-way rifle range you might find it adding new strength and speed to your arms and legs.   :lol:

--- End quote ---

The L35 was, in Bofors terms, an M2. The later M3 has the solid steel barrel replaced by a carbon fibre one with a thin steel liner to carry the rifling, which makes it MUCH lighter: IIRC, it's about the weight of a Bren gun.

(image source: gizmag.com

***added image to support discussion***

IanH:

--- Quote from: Weaver on August 27, 2009, 12:48:56 am ---
--- Quote from: rickshaw on August 26, 2009, 02:52:53 am ---
--- Quote from: Mossie on August 26, 2009, 01:25:49 am ---Is this why the Carl Gustav remains popular?  Being man portable, you can fire off a round, then leg-it quickly before you get the comeback.

--- End quote ---

Man portable is a relative term at the best of times.  The L35 was pretty damn heavy at IIRC 35 lbs and each round weighing about 10 lbs each.  It wasn't something you threw around although I'm sure that if it was a two-way rifle range you might find it adding new strength and speed to your arms and legs.   :lol:

--- End quote ---

The L35 was, in Bofors terms, an M2. The later M3 has the solid steel barrel replaced by a carbon fibre one with a thin steel liner to carry the rifling, which makes it MUCH lighter: IIRC, it's about the weight of a Bren gun.

--- End quote ---
I'd say a tad heavier than a Gimpy TBH - I used to end up humping the Basra!

MAD:

(image source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/]wikipedia)

--- Quote from: Mossie on August 26, 2009, 01:25:49 am ---Is this why the Carl Gustav remains popular?  Being man portable, you can fire off a round, then leg-it quickly before you get the comeback.

--- End quote ---

I have and continue to use the Charlie Gutsache (Carl Gustav) in the Australian Army!
I for a long time myself wondered as to why we had not replaced it with a more modern weapon system?
But after you deploy with it and use it, you soon learn to appreciate two significant things
1/ Its simple to learn how to use (in the Australian army every infantryman is trained to use it!)
   Unlike that of the more expensive and more advance ATGM, the likes of the older Milan and newer Javelin!
   So if your Charlie Gutsache team is knocked out, any of your Diggers can pick it up and continue to use it.
2/ Its types of rounds are more versatile and more cost effective than than of a ATGM.
    For in an operational scenario, every Digger can carry 84mm rounds (as well as 81mm mortar rounds)
    This is not the case for the larger and heavier ATGM's.
    Round type versatility = Anti-tank, High Explosive, Prac and one of my faverite and most over looked the the
    very effective Illumination round - which is far more versatile and longer burning than the 81mm mortar
    Illumination round. I love this round because I can deploy it instantly where and when I like without the need
    for mortar fire support.
    Add to this the new science and technologies which are going into new rounds and the modern sighting systems (including NAD's) have kept this simple weapons system practical and reliable.

And have I mentioned that its a buzz to fire - with a concussion that can makes or break your sinuses.
And look out if you do not have that bloody rubber ring positioned correctly on the vantura!!
The biggest and most common IA on the  Charlie Gutsache is a misfire, which is easily fixed !!
I have fired the RPG-7 when I was on holiday in Pakistan (nasty Pakistan copy at $100 a round). I fired only 3x RPG rounds and I still think the Charlie Gutsache is a better weapon, although the RPG-7 is far simpler and easier to carry, not to mention every man and his do has one!!!

M.A.D

***Topic split and supporting image of the Carl Gustave 84mm Recoilless Rifle added***

GTX:

--- Quote from: MAD on September 04, 2009, 09:31:41 pm ---

--- End quote ---

I have and continue to use the Charlie Gutsache (Carl Gustav) in the Australian Army!
I for a long time myself wondered as to why we had not replaced it with a more modern weapon system?
But after you deploy with it and use it, you soon learn to appreciate two significant things
1/ Its simple to learn how to use (in the Australian army every infantryman is trained to use it!)
   Unlike that of the more expensive and more advance ATGM, the likes of the older Milan and newer Javelin!
   So if your Charlie Gutsache team is knocked out, any of your Diggers can pick it up and continue to use it.
2/ Its types of rounds are more versatile and more cost effective than than of a ATGM.
    For in an operational scenario, every Digger can carry 84mm rounds (as well as 81mm mortar rounds)
    This is not the case for the larger and heavier ATGM's.
    Round type versatility = Anti-tank, High Explosive, Prac and one of my faverite and most over looked the the
    very effective Illumination round - which is far more versatile and longer burning than the 81mm mortar
    Illumination round. I love this round because I can deploy it instantly where and when I like without the need
    for mortar fire support.
    Add to this the new science and technologies which are going into new rounds and the modern sighting systems (including NAD's) have kept this simple weapons system practical and reliable.

And have I mentioned that its a buzz to fire - with a concussion that can makes or break your sinuses.
And look out if you do not have that bloody rubber ring positioned correctly on the vantura!!
The biggest and most common IA on the  Charlie Gutsache is a misfire, which is easily fixed !!
I have fired the RPG-7 when I was on holiday in Pakistan (nasty Pakistan copy at $100 a round). I fired only 3x RPG rounds and I still think the Charlie Gutsache is a better weapon, although the RPG-7 is far simpler and easier to carry, not to mention every man and his do has one!!!

M.A.D

--- End quote ---

Good points all - I have heard similar from others in the Australian Army.  I have to ask about your 'Pakistan holiday' though - that would have required some interesting clearances surely ;D.

Regards,

Greg

MAD:
Yes Greg

You were on the money

Ah yes

I got a little stick about this!!!!

I free lanced for a in between my normal occupation (long service leave!)

I did some work for Australia's largest telecommunications company (their International subsidiary!!).

I sort of assisted in the laying and jointing of optical fibre – from one side of Pakistan to the other.

Some very interesting roads in the middle of nowhere, which looked very much like where you might land an airplane in times of trouble or tension  – ‘if you know what I mean’!!!!!

We were advised to pay a visit to a small town near the Afghan boarder (This was in the early 1990's - before the West's war on terror!); here the locals copy almost any type and kind of military weapon you can think of - from the ubiquitous AK-47 to an RGP-7.

Its truly strange to see it all, let alone what they are willing to sell it for!

Its funny we paid kids in cans of Coke to set up target for us – crazy part of the world!!

Whilst there we fired everything from AK-47, AK-74’s, PKM, Dragunov, DShk and my favorite the KPV 14.5mm Heavy MG

Apart from the firing of these weapons, I insisted in stripping and cleaning them (the locals were a bit taken back by this strange request), but I took the opportunity to familiarise myself with these weapons. I must say I was both impressed with the simplicity of design and operation of them. No wonder they are so sort after by third world and terrorists.

There’s a song – I can not recall its title?

In it, it says – Ill go back there some day'
                    ‘But I will take more money’

As for the Charlie Gutsache - I think the only viable weapon that may be a good replacement may be the German Panzerfaust 3
In specifications it sounds a great weapon!
and the 110mm round sound like a great door opener!
And I will happly greet the non BBDA effects in an enclosed area or in a tactical situation
Hopefully with the German's operating in Afghanistan - who knows, our Pakistan friends may just do a copy of it - for which I will be happy to pay $$$ to fire!
Although the kids will probably want $$ these days instead of cans of Coke to set up targets.

M.A.D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version