Author Topic: Nick's Notes  (Read 26115 times)

Online scooter

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Nick's Notes
« Reply #285 on: April 11, 2021, 06:34:12 am »
In the other Trouser Leg of Time I didn't mention short trousers and start a thread suited for a gentlemens outfitters  :banghead:
At least you don't wear pantaloons, codpieces or tights.

Or ruffles
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline Rheged

• Growing older is inevitable, growing up isn't!
« Reply #286 on: April 11, 2021, 07:19:55 am »
In order that Nick does not have his thread over-run with remarks concerning items of clothing , I have opened in "Everyday Chat " a topic entitled  Gentlemen's Outfitting etc....

Were we to post our thoughts on denims, cords, cod-pieces, pantaloons etc. there; it would mean that Nick got his modelling blog thread back, an outbreak of Thread Drift Virus was prevented  and space was made available for mention of your sartorial mishaps in a more appropriate place.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Online Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2021, 02:52:07 am »
At work this morning I spent the first two hours building what could be one of the worst fitting injection kits from my stash. At the Huddersfield show 4 years ago I picked up a rare kit from Taiwan toy maker Kiddyland, the 1/72 scale Ching-Kuo F-CK-1.

It's a stinker on a level with early Amodel kits. The kit itself was poorly stored before I bought it - the rigid top opening box has been squashed inwards and the decal sheet was stuck to the instructions. It may have been in a hot attic as the main sprue is bent.

I've got the top and bottom fuselages clamped together in 3 places and the gaps are showing up badly. Wisely I put the engine exhausts in at the same time to act as a former to prevent me bending the rear fuselage in case the clamps were too tight.

Plastic wise the moulding is good in places with a little detail but the fit is awful. A 1mm edge is showing on all the parts that fit together - like the intakes that sit proud of the body instead of flush. Whoever designed the cockpit parts didn't talk to the instructions designer because there is no way the instrument panel fits where the plans show. I can see a gap in the tail.

On the positive side we get a pair of pilot figures - which is odd as it's a single seat fighter.  :o   Anyway, one guy is in seated pose for flying and the other is standing holding his helmet Tom Cruise style. I think these may have been copied from a Tamiya mould.

Work will continue....

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #288 on: April 12, 2021, 05:13:30 am »
A pity it's such a rubbish kit, I've always thought that it was a really good looking aircraft.

Best of luck with it Nick.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: April 12, 2021, 06:14:25 am »
Kiddyland, the 1/72 scale Ching-Kuo F-CK-1.

A rather appropriate name from your review  :angel: I actually had to check if this was it's real name as I've never heard of it before
Decals my @r$e!

Online Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #290 on: April 12, 2021, 06:30:42 am »
A pity it's such a rubbish kit, I've always thought that it was a really good looking aircraft.

Best of luck with it Nick.

This is one machine that deserves a modern 1/72 version from somebody like HobbyBoss or Trumpeter but politics means they won't touch it. Maybe AFV Club or Freedom Models will resize their 1/48 or 1/32 versions.

I've often wondered about the design as it clearly has bits of F-18 and F-16 design in there.

Kiddyland, the 1/72 scale Ching-Kuo F-CK-1.

A rather appropriate name from your review  :angel: I actually had to check if this was it's real name as I've never heard of it before

Yep, that's what I was saying a lot this morning. I foresee a lot of putty going into this. And I may need to shove some nose weights in as the stand that should be in there is missing.  :-X

Offline DogfighterZen

• Bmx, music and whif junkie
« Reply #291 on: April 12, 2021, 11:49:21 am »
This is one machine that deserves a modern 1/72 version from somebody like HobbyBoss or Trumpeter but politics means they won't touch it. Maybe AFV Club or Freedom Models will resize their 1/48 or 1/32 versions.

I totally agree, it's surprising that there isn't one in 1/72 yet.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"