Author Topic: Aircraft Carriers  (Read 172175 times)

Offline JoeP

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
    • The Home Page of Connie and (Modeler) Joe
Re: Aircraft Carriers
« Reply #600 on: February 19, 2018, 01:03:52 pm »
I'd agree with that, but why would BIG rudders work OK when going astern on BIG ships when proportionally similar size rudders don't work so well on smaller vessels?

Perhaps I should post this on a model boat Forum?  ;D ;)

Some of the earlier carriers did have forward arrestor wires for emergency landings if the after end of the flight deck was damaged, but they weren't generally intended to sail in both directions. Ships can steam in reverse, and the rudder would have to be locked if the ship is sailing afterward with any speed, lest it be damaged.
The USN's Lexington and Saratoga did have fine sterns, but that was because they were started as fast-sailing battlecruisers.
In between jobs and homes.  New job starts soon, then search for new home, space for hobby room and display cases is non-negotiable.

Offline Nils

• Belgium's "Iceman"
  • Execute in scale 144!
« Reply #601 on: June 17, 2021, 12:37:14 pm »
ive been toying with this idea for a few years now, and i got the idea during the period when piracy was largly a problem in Somalia and the Phillipenes. but what would the plausability and usefullness be for a Counter Insurgency carrier (or COIN-Carrier).

for the ship, based on the Sea Control Ship concept, i was thinking something like a modern day light aircraft carrier (something the size of an Invincible-class or HTMS Chakri Naruebet but with a straight deck). with EMALS catapults now being cheaper and easier to build then classic steam catapults, but with only half the output and power of those fitted to the new Ford-class of a US Carriers. these would be powerfull enough to launch light COIN aircraft, such as Navalised Super Tucano's and drones.

at first i thought this was a good idea, but i think in reality it would make more since to use helicopter carriers such as LHD's and amphibious assault ships.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Offline AeroplaneDriver

• Not licensed to do this sort of thing
  • What-IF SIG
  • Busy repainting the Jetstream in Red Arrows colors
« Reply #602 on: June 17, 2021, 12:57:07 pm »
Interesting concept with a lot of Whiffing potential.  A ship like that that is intended for small scale COIN/anti piracy work could be built to commercial standards and therefore cheaper.  It will be interesting to see what comes out of the RNís search for smaller scale EMALS for the QE Class carriers. See what the cost and power requirements are going to be like when you no longer need it to fling a fully loaded F-35C airborne.

With climate change leading to sea level rise over the coming generation itís easy to come up with a scenario where coastal piracy becomes an ever increasing problem in less developed nations. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Online Doug K

• Makes own decals
« Reply #603 on: June 17, 2021, 12:58:26 pm »
.....and then of course we have the " lower flying off deck" on some interwar carriers. Effectively, taking off from the hanger deck;allowing the ship to simultaneously land aircraft on the main flight deck while fighters were taking off on the lower deck or to speedily fly off her aircraft from both decks.

Akagi had 3 decks on total when she was first built

Online scooter

« Reply #604 on: June 17, 2021, 02:09:38 pm »
.....and then of course we have the " lower flying off deck" on some interwar carriers. Effectively, taking off from the hanger deck;allowing the ship to simultaneously land aircraft on the main flight deck while fighters were taking off on the lower deck or to speedily fly off her aircraft from both decks.

Akagi had 3 decks on total when she was first built

And some US carriers had hangar deck mounted cats before BuShips and BuAir felt they were too much for little return
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
ó Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #605 on: June 19, 2021, 01:57:14 pm »

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the RNís search for smaller scale EMALS for the QE Class carriers. See what the cost and power requirements are going to be like when you no longer need it to fling a fully loaded F-35C airborne.

Their original requirement was for a smaller EMALS than the ones fitted to the Fords. My ex-employers quoted it before selling off the whole EMALS division elsewhere and losing interest in that field.  :banghead:
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit