General Modelling Forum > Tips, Tools, and Techniques

Essential, useful or luxury ?

<< < (3/3)

PR19_Kit:
WAY back in the mid 60s I converted one of my, then superceded, slot race motors (A Revell 500 actually...) into a paint stirrer. I soldered a shortish (4") length of brass tube onto the motor shaft, flattened one end and bent and twisted it like a single bladed propeller. Then I fashioned a switch from an old paper clip so I could turn the motor on and off by pressing the paper clip against one of the motor's brush housings. Voila, a paint stirrer.

I usually run it at around 8 volts, but even then I need a sawn down toilet roll holder, held around the paint tin, to act as a shield or else EVERYthing gets painted, even me!

I still have it and still use it, almost every day.

zenrat:
I have a number of discarded childs electric toothbrushes.  The cheap ones you put batteries in rather than the expensive rechargeable ones.  I shall be experimenting...

Rheged:

--- Quote from: zenrat on November 10, 2020, 03:35:42 am ---I have a number of discarded childs electric toothbrushes.  The cheap ones you put batteries in rather than the expensive rechargeable ones.  I shall be experimenting...

--- End quote ---

I suggest that you experiment with a degree of caution.  A paint splattered  Zenrat would not be a good thing, and should any portion of the Zenrat Manor be anointed with paint, I anticipate that a degree of domestic discord might occur.

JayBee:
Well, I have in my hands, a paint stirrer from the "Badger Air-brush Company" .
I have suffered no splatter. You just have to remember to NOT switch it on BEFORE you put it into the tin, and switch it OFF, BEFORE you take it out.
No problemo.
Anyway, what is the problem with some splatter?
It is just a hazard of the hobby.
Mind you,, there are armour modellers who would give their lleft arm to perfect the technique for their models.  :rolleyes:

zenrat:

--- Quote from: Rheged on November 10, 2020, 04:55:21 am ---
--- Quote from: zenrat on November 10, 2020, 03:35:42 am ---I have a number of discarded childs electric toothbrushes.  The cheap ones you put batteries in rather than the expensive rechargeable ones.  I shall be experimenting...

--- End quote ---

I suggest that you experiment with a degree of caution.  A paint splattered  Zenrat would not be a good thing, and should any portion of the Zenrat Manor be anointed with paint, I anticipate that a degree of domestic discord might occur.

--- End quote ---

I appreciate your concern.  All experimentation will take place in one of stately zen manor's extensive outbuildings.  I will have to remember though NOT to try it out just before going to work while wearing my official Australia Post uniform shorts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version