General Modelling Forum > Tips, Tools, and Techniques

Humbrol Enamels

(1/9) > >>

Doug K:
Simple question; what on Earth has happened to Humbrol Eamels? Iím quite old school, I still use a hairy stick for my models but even using a pretty good sable, the Matt and satin whites I bought for my Gannet are awful.

Itís like spreading a plastic goop, not the paint I know from the (relatively)recent past.

zenrat:
I've only bought one Humbrol Enamel in the last 10 years (metalcote gunmetal) and it is horrible.  Sounds like the same problem - it just doesn't brush out.
I suppose I could've tried thinning it but I just put it to one side and used acrylic.
I've also tried Humbrol clears and liquid mask and i'm not impressed with them either.

NARSES2:
I've not bought any Humbrol enamels for years, just their acrylics and with those the pots drive me mad  :banghead: However I find brush painting whites of any make over large areas problematical at best. If I have large area's then I use Halford's Appliance White.

Old Wombat:
I've found if I mix Humbrol paints in the tin, then seal them properly, the bl@@dy stuff "cures" in the tin. I've even bought a tin that had cured before I opened it!

That was only 2 days after I bought it & it was recently acquired stock according to the store owner.

Don't know who's making their paints now but they're becoming extremely marginal as a useful product.

Hobbes:

--- Quote from: zenrat on May 05, 2018, 02:02:21 am ---I've only bought one Humbrol Enamel in the last 10 years (metalcote gunmetal) and it is horrible.  Sounds like the same problem - it just doesn't brush out.
I suppose I could've tried thinning it but I just put it to one side and used acrylic.
I've also tried Humbrol clears and liquid mask and i'm not impressed with them either.

--- End quote ---

The Metalcote colors are an outlier: they use a very different paint formulation compared to the enamels. I've got some Metalcote from a few years ago, and that works well - but only if you thin it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version