GROUP BUILDS > The Science Fiction Group Build

(DONE Pics Pg. 3) Starfleet Ferengi Maurader "U.S.S. Xander"

(1/13) > >>

TheChronicOne:
What if during first contact with the Ferengi things didn't go sour and instead the Federation and the Ferengi Alliance became fast friends? That's what I'm talkin' bout!!!!    Anyway.... they eventually made a trade deal so the UFP got the license and schematics and blah blah blah to start producing their own Mauraders!  :o

The wares:



Yeah buddy it's just a seven piece kit!   ;D    Still, the backside of this thing is serrated/scalloped a bit and will probably create a fair amount of work when it comes to sanding. But... really??? A Mugatu could build this thing... it all comes down to painting it. For something like this to look worth a darn it will need some detail painting and shading and things of that nature. I'll try, for the first time, a bit of preshading on it and will try to do some things with different texture, etc.

Having to use spare transfers. I lucked out, however, and found everything I need! I thought I had burned through some of the pertinent needed bits of red striping but I found plenty along with things to use for windows as this kit doesn't have them molded in.

I actually built this very kit about 25 years ago but I can't remember any of it. All I know is I put it together and played with it. There was no painting or decalling...   Anyway... I'll need to do some dry fitting and just looking at it I can see things that will need filing to get the symmetry I need.

TheChronicOne:
Got started on main construction about 5 minutes ago.

Already done!  ;D ;D ;D

"Just gotta glue on the fiddly bits now!"  ;D

Gotta wait on the glue to dry then see what I can do to sand the rear of this thing. Also, due to the shape of the sprue connecting to this thing, even with flush side sprue cutters, there are places that will need filler and PSR.

Still, all this won't take very long, I don't THINK. All the time on this one will be wrapped up in the paint work.

nighthunter:
Ah, the Adversaries 3 kit Ferengi Marauder. How I loathed it, lol. I took the Klingon BOP, and got rid of the rest. It took a lot of work to get the BOP shipshape, putty, plasticard, and patience, lol. It was so with it, that the Romulan Warbird got me another BOP in trade, and the process repeated itself, lol! Looking forward to seeing how your Marauder turns out.

TheChronicOne:

--- Quote from: nighthunter on July 24, 2017, 08:08:03 am ---Ah, the Adversaries 3 kit Ferengi Marauder. How I loathed it, lol. I took the Klingon BOP, and got rid of the rest. It took a lot of work to get the BOP shipshape, putty, plasticard, and patience, lol. It was so with it, that the Romulan Warbird got me another BOP in trade, and the process repeated itself, lol! Looking forward to seeing how your Marauder turns out.

--- End quote ---
Thanks!!  Yeah brotha.... these things are kind of beastly aren't they?!  lol    I remember the BoP being my favorite out of the bunch..... I also remember gluing the engines on the Warbird the wrong side out. . . ...  .   ;D

TheChronicOne:
Getting some work done on this one finally.


Ignore the silvery airplane. It's just in the photo because I used this in my blog thread as well. If anyone is interested in what that is, go check it out in the blogs forum.

Last time around I used a fair amount of glue to kind of fill the large gap created from gluing the two main pieces together. Took awhile for the glue to dry up then I went in and sanded it. Not perfect but at least now the seam area looks more integrated and part of the actual design instead of a canyon running through the build. I also sanded away the "slag" and other areas that were "messed up" from trimming and glueing. I used this awesome sanding block type sponge thing that has wound up being an invaluable tool because it COUNTOURS TO THE WORK really, really well in certain instances. About to go buy 5 more of the things. . . .



Not too bad! I can definitely live with that.

Anyway, over the past 1.5 hours I've sprayed it with a coat of grey primer followed by 4 mists coats then a final wet coat of white. I will now let it hang around and dry for no less than 48 hours then it's time for my pre shading experimentation.

I'm still not entirely sure how the final paint scheme will be but some parts will be grey and of course the requisite reds and blues that make Starfleet ships look so nice!  Should be fun.. I'm especially looking forward to how I can make the engine areas look where the clear parts go.

 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Until next time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version