GROUP BUILDS > The RAF Centenary Group Build

DONE @ p.3 +++ 1:72 Panavia Tornado F.6 of RAF 5 Squadron, 2018

(1/12) > >>

Dizzyfugu:
Well, roundabout two weeks to go for the GB, and I might try to add an eighth entry - somewhat inspired by Kit's Tornado F.5 build with "extensions", but a different interpretation of a Tornado ADV upgrade. Basis will be the Italeri kit (recently got one cheap w/o clear parts, but I found suitable replacements in the donor bank!), and changes will be rather subtle. The idea is an engine upgrade towards the type's late career, and the paint scheme will be different from the standard light grey livery, too.

PR19_Kit:
Now that a 2 week extension's been granted to the build end date you've got a whole month to go.

That's long enough to build a whole SQUADRON of F6s at your rate Thomas.  ;D ;)

Dizzyfugu:
I guess so, too...  :rolleyes: I am just finishing a non-GB project right now, but work on the Tonka hardware might start this evening. I've already secured some donor parts and have been bathing the new/old clear parts in oven cleaner for a week in order to get the old paint off, this should move fast (since the kit is not very complicated).

1:72 Panavia “Tornado F.6”; aircraft “ZF205/CG” of the Royal Air Force 5 Squadron; RAF Cranwell, 2018 (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu:
Work actually started, with several non-critical sub-assemblies and parts cleaning. Most of the F.3 will be retained, but, as mentioned above, the engine will be changed, and with it some visible parts like the exhausts and, most of all, the air intakes. The latter will be the actual stunt of this build, because of the complex location in the wing roots and the curved fuselage flank. Armament will also be upgraded - I had some AMRAAMs earmarked, but found yesterday a Eurofighter/Typhoon kit which comes with four Meteor AAMs, a more British ordnance option.  ;)

For instance, the exhausts will be changed in order to mimic EJ200 engines (with F-18 implants from an F404)

1:72 Panavia “Tornado F.6”; aircraft “ZF205/CG” of the Royal Air Force 5 Squadron; RAF Cranwell, 2018 (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The ordnance, four Meteor AAMs and four different AIM9s (which are better than the OOB missiles):

And a look at the interior:

PR19_Kit:
Veeeeeery interesting.  :thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version