GROUP BUILDS > The Flying Boat, Seaplane and Amphibian G.B.

Done @p.2 +++ 1:72 'Chelydra' hovertank from/for the Dougram universe

(1/8) > >>

Dizzyfugu:
Well, I have been having this idea and project on the agenda for a while, but several reasons delayed its entry to the GB - primarily heavy paint stripping over the course of several weeks. This is a kind of multiple mummy resurrections, since I plan to bash remnants of two incomplete mecha husks from the junk pile, originally built in the late Eighties, wrecked, partly re-used in former kitbashing projects, and with crude and multiple layers of enamel paint. Will certainly not become the most crisp build, but I will try to save what's left - and IMHO we need some mecha or SF flavor to this build.

So, this will become a relatively compact 1:72 hovertank, bashed from an 1:48 Eastland ARH-52 "Groundsearch" Air Cushion Vehicle and an 1:72 Bromry ARMC "Instead" 8x8 tank - or better, from what's left of both of them...  :rolleyes:

ysi_maniac:
These kits look promising indeed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu:
The Instead tank is really cool, and it is a shame that it just exists here in bits and pieces anymore. The kit also comes with optional rocket launcher pods for the turret flanks, and an alternative turret with fifteen bigger artillery missiles. The pods still exist and I might try to mount them, but the planned fans behind the turret cause some headaches. And, after all, they'd rise the vehicle's CG, and I guess that you'd rather avoid anything that makes a tank at 100 mph topple over in a curve...  :rolleyes:

Besides, hardware work started, and I ordered a metal gun barrel (a 1:48 3.7cm PaK with a neat muzzle brake) for the turret, and I fear that I have to scratch the whole propeller arrangement including multi-blade-props for this one. Sounds like a challenge so far. :ph34r:

Dizzyfugu:
Time for WiP pics. First an intermediate shot from the tedious "bleaching" process of the old parts - not only parts for the build, but others, too (e .g. the lower arms from an 1:100 VF-1 Gerwalk):

(Fang of the Sun) Dougram +++ 1:72 Eastland AHT-81 'Chelydra' Hovercraft Tank (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The resurrected basis:

(Fang of the Sun) Dougram +++ 1:72 Eastland AHT-81 'Chelydra' Hovercraft Tank (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Instead's upper hull was trimmed down, and a plug in front of the turret ring mount taken out so that the length matches the deck of the Groundsearch hovercraft, which lost its original cockpit details:

Some gaps have to be filled, though, and PSR started...

Things evolve gradually, because only the major parts are available, and the propulsion system at the rear causes some headaches...  :rolleyes:

jalles:
It's looking great so far, I'm excited to see where this one goes  :thumbsup:  I was thinking of doing a Russian assault hovercraft before I settled on the Marauder, so I'm glad someone else has taken up the mantel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version