GROUP BUILDS > The 2017 One Week Build

Gnats in Portugal

<< < (2/11) > >>

NARSES2:

--- Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 01, 2017, 01:14:50 am ---
--- Quote from: Librarian on May 31, 2017, 05:39:29 pm ---Still have such a soft spot for the smaller jets and the Gnat has a certain something...much prettier than the Hawk. Airfix really have to do something about their 'tramline' panelling, especially as the kits aren't that cheap.

--- End quote ---

The deep panels are IMHO not that bad. It really evens out once you add some paint (at least with a brush), and the engravings remain deep enough for washes.

--- End quote ---

Totally agree with Dizzy. I think perhaps Airfix have deliberately done the panel lines on some of their newer tools to cater for brush painters ? Some in the modeling press seem to forget that brush painters are not an extinct species.

PR19_Kit:

--- Quote from: NARSES2 on June 01, 2017, 05:06:39 am ---
 Some in the modeling press seem to forget that brush painters are not an extinct species.

--- End quote ---

PRECISELY!  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen:
I do find some of the panel lines a bit to wide but i can live with that, although some details do look a bit toy-like, but all things considered, it is a small scale so it doesn't really bother me. I still prefer these engraved lines over raised lines, at least it's easier to recover details lost by sanding.
I'm now down in the cave, ready for an airbrush session so i'll have some progress to show later today...

:cheers:

Librarian:
Depends on the modeller really. Those panel lines ARE good for the wattle-and-daubers but hopeless for those who have some finesse. A good example from my experience was a couple years back when I put together an Airfix 1/48 Spit XII... :banghead:. Stuck it on Ebay, then bought the Special Hobby release. Beautifully refined panelling (and a far more accurate, slim Spitfire).

Airfix can do refined...their Spit F.22/24 kit is a prime example. On 1/72....I shudder to think as I have has experience of their Mustang release.

...and the gates :o. Hack-saw the parts of the sprues then weigh the model parts against the leftovers. Serious wastage.

DogfighterZen:

--- Quote from: Librarian on June 01, 2017, 06:13:12 am ---Depends on the modeller really. Those panel lines ARE good for the wattle-and-daubers but hopeless for those who have some finesse. A good example from my experience was a couple years back when I put together an Airfix 1/48 Spit XII... :banghead:. Stuck it on Ebay, then bought the Special Hobby release. Beautifully refined panelling (and a far more accurate, slim Spitfire).

Airfix can do refined...their Spit F.22/24 kit is a prime example. On 1/72....I shudder to think as I have has experience of their Mustang release.

...and the gates :o. Hack-saw the parts of the sprues then weigh the model parts against the leftovers. Serious wastage.

--- End quote ---

I've now built 6 of these new-tool 1/72 Airfix kits, the panel lines are all the same on these kits, and while they might be a bit too wide, i've read a lot from people complaining about Hasegawa's panel lines because the're so fine that the layers of primer,paint and varnish make it almost impossible to get a wash to stay in the lines so i believe that it could be one of the reasons.
Although i haven't built it yet, i have the 1/72 Airfix Spit F.22 and the panel lines are exactly the same as on the F-86E, P-51D, Harrier Gr.9, Zero, Gnat and the FW 190, and i agree that they're not as fine as on other brand's kits, i think they're a bit too wide, but at least they're not rounded trenches like on Matchbox kits...
I totally agree with the sprue gates being too thick, the plastic's so soft it's very easy to take a chunk of the part you're trying to cut off... and the waste is a lot indeed... :banghead:

Anyway, i'm enjoying this quick build, i've made some good progress, might even be able to finish it before the deadline... :rolleyes:
First was to mask the canopy, which was a quick job, but when i placed it on the fuselage, it left a gap on the rear part, so i had to glue a bit of plastic card on the frame to reduce it. Also painted the pilots and threw them in the cockpit so i could close it all up... i know, the pilots look like they're wearing swimming caps and goggles... ;D

Then it was time for some Tamiya grey primer, followed by the XF-2 as the base for the display scheme...

The acrylic paint's already dry as the temperature's been pretty high today, so i'll start masking tonight after dinner...

:cheers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version