Paint stripping

Started by Geoff, June 28, 2003, 07:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

Not too sure about the Mr Muscle, but for enamel paints I've used nail varnish remover before. The Acetone strips enamel pretty well, without damaging the plastic. The only other stuff I've used is Model Strip as I was stripping my bloody #@$*&^£ Vulcan.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

F-32

Mr. Muscle works, but it takes a good couple of coats and a lot of scrubbing with an old tooth brush!

lancer

Have you thought of trying a blsck & decker hot air paint stripper??  :zz  :TT  :zz  :TT  :aa
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Aircav

not \"a cunning plan\" ?  :s

BTW Lancer, using a Black & Desperate hot air gun could result in a moltern heap of plastic, could be funny   :(
\"The plane was hit by a alien raygun, onist\" :s
:zz
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

lancer

Cunning plans are popping up all over the place today!!!

John Howling Mouse

This guy has some interesting tips.  But again, just like the oven cleaner, there is some risk involved...

[a href=\"http://www.gremlins.com/kitbuilders/strip.html\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.gremlins.com/kitbuilders/strip.html[/a]
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Here are some tips on removing paint from models I've never heard of before...

What is a good paint stripper?  What is this CSC stuff I keep hearing about?

CSC is Castrol Super Clean, an engine cleaner and degreaser. It comes in a big purple bottle and smells pleasant. You can get it at Wal-Mart and places like that. It is caustic so wear rubber gloves.

CSC is a great paint stripper for regular plastic model car bodies.  Simply pour CSC in a large plastic Tupperware container, and place the body in there. Seal it up with the lid and let sit from 24-48 hours.  Take the body out of the CSC and hold it under warm running water. Scrub it with an old toothbrush and the paint will come off fairly easily.  Forum members often refer to dunking a car in Lake CSC. DO NOT USE CSC ON DIECAST  MODELS, IT WILL PUT THE METAL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I strip Pro-Finish cars?
Revell Pro Finish cars are tampo painted and then clear coated. CSC will turn that clear coat into a goopy, syrupy mess. Use brake fluid for 48-96 hours [2-4 days] to strip Revell Pro Finish cars.

Cutex brand nail polish remover will also work in stripping the graphics and clear coat off Pro-Finish bodies. Rub the body with a cotton ball or a toothbrush and Cutex and the stuff will come right off. Make sure it is non-scetone nail polish remover.  

Also, when using any stripper, use a sealable Tupperware [or other] container. Both strippers will oxidize and lose potency when exposed to air.

lancer

Already used Model strip, it's brilliant stuff.

lancer

Oh gawd the 'cunning plan' again...

Well actually, the black & decker solution is for helicopters only.... Earth gets invaded by helicopter hating bugs... :TT  :TT  :TT

Aircav

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

But wait, I have a cunning plan to rid the earth of them :s
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

John Howling Mouse

All I know is a friend of mine tried to remove Testor's enamel paint from a model using aerosol oven cleaner and it chewed right into the plastic, ruining everything.

There IS a paint stripper supposedly formulated for removing \"most\" kinds of paint without wrecking plastic underneath.  I've seen it advertised in FSM.  I'll look around.

John Howling Mouse

I believe this is the stuff I've seen advertised elsewhere (but have not tried it myself)...

[a href=\"http://www.chameleonproductsonline.com/pages/223847/\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.chameleonproductsonline.com/pages/223847/[/a]

F-32

tried to get some paint stripper sent over from a model shop in the States but unfortunately they said they weren't allowed to export it.........

Nigel Bunker

Brigade Models have Modelstrip in stock. Presumably this should now be \" at all good modelshops\" and is the thing par excellence for stripping models.

Put a layer of modelstrip over the mode, put in a plastic bag for 24 hours (to stop it drying out) then wash the modelstrip off and all the paint should go with it. Worked for me!
Life's too short to apply all the stencils