How to fill gaps in canopy framing

Started by nev, April 17, 2003, 03:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wren

Nev, try white PVA glue, just build up a few thin layers until the gap is filled and then overpaint with the frame/fuselage colour, whatever you do I'd avoid using superglue...  :Ss

nev

Hmm, thanks guys, I'll have to keep my eyes open for this stuff
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

OK, my Comanche is coming along an absolute treat and construction is almost complete - ready for priming!

I've just stuck the canopy on and there are a couple of small gaps around the edge, and also between a couple of panels that I've chosen to have closed.  Question is, how do I fill those gaps without wrecking the canopy?  I normally use Tipex for small cracks and Milliput for anything bigger.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Skorpio

Actually, you can use superglue for canopies, providing that you've dipped them in Johnsons Kleer first.  I've tried it a few times and it works.

John Howling Mouse

After I've applied a slightly ill-fitting canopy, I often use Microscale's \"MICRO KRISTAL KLEAR\" ----the stuff you use on airliner kits to make a meniscus/clear \"windows.\"

It seems to bridge small gaps nicely and accepts airbrushed paints without any trouble.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Radish

I use children's white glue from places like Wilkinson's (cheap and I work there). It dries clear and I also use it for thin gaps anyway. Blob a bit on, use a cocktail stick, and after letting it settle for a minute or so, wipe off with a damp finger. If neccesary, repeat until you've got the right effect. If you don't like it, use a pin/knife to \"lift\" it and pull it out!
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen