Northrop F-89 Swept Wing

Started by mat, March 13, 2023, 03:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

In 1949 Northrop came up with a design proposal for a swept wing version of the F-89 Scorpion. Two 10,000 lbst Allison 450E-1 engines would push this single seater to 1170 km/h and it should be able to reach 19 kms altitude.
But USAF didn't buy the idea - but what-if this fighter plane have been put in to production. It would have reach the squadrons in the last half of the 1950s.
So here we go. The basic of the Super Scorpion will be the old Revell kit in the odd scale of 1/86 which have been hiding in my stash for a very long time.

You cannot view this attachment.

loupgarou

Interesting. In the artist image the tailplane is hidden,and doing it as a tailless would make the F-89 even more striking.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on March 13, 2023, 04:05:21 PMInteresting. In the artist image the tailplane is hidden,and doing it as a tailless would make the F-89 even more striking.

And even more 'Northrop-ish' too.  :thumbsup:

Hmmm, I have a spare 1/72 Scorpion fuselage knocking about too..................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 13, 2023, 04:54:23 PM
Quote from: loupgarou on March 13, 2023, 04:05:21 PMInteresting. In the artist image the tailplane is hidden,and doing it as a tailless would make the F-89 even more striking.

And even more 'Northrop-ish' too.  :thumbsup:

Hmmm, I have a spare 1/72 Scorpion fuselage knocking about too..................

Of course with slightly less sweep you could get some really long wings on that...... :wacko:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 14, 2023, 10:00:59 AMOf course with slightly less sweep you could get some really long wings on that...... :wacko:

Now THERE'S an idea.  ;D  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

mat

First step in the building of a swept wing F-89 - sweep the wings!

Wardukw

Oh now the fun begins  :lol:
Looking forward to see how those turn out Mat  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

mat

Wings almost finished

mat

Now it's time to turn the Scorpion into a single seater and start the conversion of the engines, The intended engines would have almost doubled the thrust of the F-89. So the kit engines have to be beefed up. So the Revell engines were enlarged a bit and fitted with a new exhaust taken from an other odd-scale Revell kit. The good old B-58 in 1/93. My example crashed some time way back in the old mellenium.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

mat

Wings are now attached to the fuselage, which by the way have lost the nose as the first step to getting a new front end. Ahead is more PSR

Wardukw

I knew I was going to enjoy this build..I wasn't wrong  ;D
The power upgrade is very nice and we all know..more is better 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Nice work getting all that together, the new wing plan looks quite different, although with the bare bone fuselage, you can hardly tell what it started as.

Vulcan7

Impressive wing shaping   :tornado:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Dizzyfugu

Cool. I esp. like the podded engines, gives the aircraft a totally different look.  :thumbsup: