VFW-Fokker 1970s UAV

Started by Caveman, March 11, 2023, 08:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

I found this and thought it looked remarkably like some of the loyal wingmen stuff that is currently in vogue. I've got no idea how such a thing was to be controlled with the computing power in the 70s. But I thought it looked cool and so I made one :) (actually two...)

Split for printing - remarkably few parts were needed to get a successful print!

Very happy with the landing gear

First one went flying and suffered a landing gear failure on landing... So printed off another one.

Centre and aft of the fuselage is hollow, but the nose is solid. So it sits neatly on its wheels :)

Revell 1/144 Tonka decals to finish. Its a small aircraft (smaller than a gnat) but I've printed it up in 1/72.

secretprojects forum migrant

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Vulcan7

:tornado:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: the future of what-if-ing right here!  :mellow:  :lol:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Wardukw

Very cool little bird...now print one with a cockpit and turn it into a racer  :wacko:  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Caveman

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 11, 2023, 10:31:42 AMVery cool little bird...now print one with a cockpit and turn it into a racer  :wacko:  :thumbsup:

Hmm, prone cockpit, reheated engine, bare metal colour scheme?
secretprojects forum migrant

Wardukw

Quote from: Caveman on March 12, 2023, 05:46:29 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 11, 2023, 10:31:42 AMVery cool little bird...now print one with a cockpit and turn it into a racer  :wacko:  :thumbsup:

Hmm, prone cockpit, reheated engine, bare metal colour scheme?
Yup to all 3 Caveman ...a dull bare metal finish..like flat aluminum with chrome mirror numbers with black outlines .instead of prone why not reclined..it's more comfortable and much easier to fly at extreme speed like how F-16 pilots sit in their planes..but more reclined  ;)
Prone will bugger up your front landing gear position..reclined won't as the pilot will be back more ..and the dude can sit just before the wing..keeping the sweet looks of the bird intact  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

perttime

UAV / RPV have been used before 70s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_aerial_vehicle#Postwar_period
I don't think they were very smart but they worked.

I like the manned racer idea, with a very much reclined pilot. The nose of the UAV probably houses sensors (cameras?) so the shape there might be streamlined further with a pilot.

Wardukw

I'm pretty sure UAVs were used in the Vietnam War hanging from a C-130s ..what they did ive no idea but pretty sure they were there...that would be mid to late 60s .
Gutting the interior would give quite a bit of space ..fact I'm playing around with something very similar right now but mine is a hell of a lot slower than this one I can tell ya  ;D

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 12, 2023, 12:43:42 PMI'm pretty sure UAVs were used in the Vietnam War hanging from a C-130s ..what they did ive no idea but pretty sure they were there...that would be mid to late 60s .
Reconnaissance and EW.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Model_147

Wardukw

Quote from: Snowtrooper on March 12, 2023, 01:47:17 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 12, 2023, 12:43:42 PMI'm pretty sure UAVs were used in the Vietnam War hanging from a C-130s ..what they did ive no idea but pretty sure they were there...that would be mid to late 60s .
Reconnaissance and EW.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Model_147
Haha..seems the ol memory is still working which I'm happy about...recon and electronic warfare is good..in those they days those UAVs wouldn't have been anywhere accurate enough for weapons use I'd bet...maybe they possibly wouldn't have been  powerful or strong enough but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was tried tho.

sandiego89

That look great, well done.

The title VFW UAV threw me off a bit, as the VFW here in the United States is commonly associated with the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and it is not uncommon for them to have a military relic out front of their meeting halls like a T-33, tank, artillery piece....So I was wondering why would the VFW have a drone? 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA