Hawk T.1 Fly Navy 100 Alternate Scheme. A Very Mild Whif.

Started by AeroplaneDriver, March 04, 2023, 03:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Really just musing out loud here...I am primed and ready to paint a Hobby Boss 1/48 Hawk T.1.  I'd been planning a RW build, but have been struggling on the scheme.  I have a LOT of Xtradecal Hawk decals in the stash so pretty much any scheme the Hawk wore in UK service is an option.  I'd been leaning towards either the classic 70s-80s red and white trainer scheme or the later 80s two-tone grey with a pair of Sidewinders. 

But now that I'm ready to paint another more whiffy option has popped into my head.  I have the decals for the gloss black Royal Navy Hawk with the special 100 years of Naval Aviation "Navy 100" tail.  I definitely don't want to do the allover gloss black Hawk, but an idea popped up to paint it in a retro RN scheme for the anniversary.  The 60s-80s EDSG over White is one of my favorite schemes ever and one I don't think I've ever seen applied to a Hawk, real or otherwise. 

Decisions, decisions...
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

Go with what excites ya most matey..that last scheme sounds great man ..ive seen to many red and white ones..quite a few black ones and I'll admit..I do like the 2 tone gray..looks good on that plane.
Your last choice sounds best Driver mate  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 04, 2023, 03:49:44 PMbut an idea popped up to paint it in a retro RN scheme for the anniversary.  The 60s-80s EDSG over White is one of my favorite schemes ever and one I don't think I've ever seen applied to a Hawk, real or otherwise. 

Decisions, decisions...

I like the sound of that  :thumbsup:  Trying to imagine it in my minds eye and I think the demarcation line between the EDSG and White will be crucial to the final look. Personally I'd go with a low one as I always preferred that to the high one when it was EDSG over Sky, but it's your build  :thumbsup:  Maybe with national markings to match the colour scheme ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 05, 2023, 12:39:45 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 04, 2023, 03:49:44 PMbut an idea popped up to paint it in a retro RN scheme for the anniversary.  The 60s-80s EDSG over White is one of my favorite schemes ever and one I don't think I've ever seen applied to a Hawk, real or otherwise. 

Decisions, decisions...

I like the sound of that  :thumbsup:  Trying to imagine it in my minds eye and I think the demarcation line between the EDSG and White will be crucial to the final look. Personally I'd go with a low one as I always preferred that to the high one when it was EDSG over Sky, but it's your build  :thumbsup:  Maybe with national markings to match the colour scheme ?

Decals are almost complete as I type this. Pics sohrtly. I did go with a low demarcation line and I'm fairly happy with the result. Not my favorite Whif build ever but I think when done she'll look decent

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 05, 2023, 12:42:23 AMDecals are almost complete as I type this. Pics sohrtly. I did go with a low demarcation line and I'm fairly happy with the result. Not my favorite Whif build ever but I think when done she'll look decent

I sometimes think you have a similar time machine as the one Dizzy owns considering the speed of your builds  ;)  ;D

Looking forward to it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Good progress tonight on this very mild Whif.

The tail looks a bit manky because the HobbyBoss kit and the Xtradecal tail decal were not a match made in heaven.  The decal was close to 1/4 inch too short for the HB tail.  Fortunately I recently picked up a pair of Xtradecal Jet Provost display aircraft decal sets for a song and they had some  stripes in the identical blue.  So the shortage has been filled in with pieces cut from the JP sheet.  So the tail decal has had a good soaking of MicroSol.  Hopefully when dry it will all even out nicely as it usually does. 

Not the most exciting Whif ever but I'm happy with how it is progressing.

AeroplaneDriver

Im accordance with the Ancient Rules Of Modeling, here is the obligatory "on her legs" shot. 

Might finish her up on Wednesday but most likely next weekend thanks to work.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Old Wombat

Nice build & she looks good! :thumbsup:

However, it has confirmed my personal preference for the high demarcation camouflage scheme found on (some) FAA aircraft in the early years of WW2 (Extra Dark Sea Grey & Dark Slate Grey over Sky).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 06, 2023, 06:12:34 AMNice build & she looks good! :thumbsup:

However, it has confirmed my personal preference for the high demarcation camouflage scheme found on (some) FAA aircraft in the early years of WW2 (Extra Dark Sea Grey & Dark Slate Grey over Sky).

I was torn between EDSG over Sky with the high demarcation but went with the later scheme.  If I'm perfectly honest I don't care for it on the Hawk. Demarcation is too low but with the low wing any higher would have looked weird.   Lesson learned...

I have another set of the same decals and may do another at some point in the earlier scheme.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise