Super Glue and Baking Soda

Started by Weaver, February 21, 2023, 08:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Useful DIY/moulding video, but caution: THE FUMES ARE BAD: only do this outside or with good ventillation.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

frank2056

For modeling work, a far better alternative is super glue and talcum powder. It doesn't produce a chemical reaction (like the baking soda) and the result is closer to styrene in hardness. It's easy to cut, sand and blend into a part.

The Wooksta!

I've been using this stuff for years.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Hobbes

I've done some experiments with this, mostly as a filler for gaps between parts. Drawback is that it gets really hard, making it more difficult to sand.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: frank2056 on February 21, 2023, 10:03:43 AMFor modeling work, a far better alternative is super glue and talcum powder. It doesn't produce a chemical reaction (like the baking soda) and the result is closer to styrene in hardness. It's easy to cut, sand and blend into a part.

Agree, I have been using this recipe for years. And I've left a fill job for months, and it's still as easy to work as something that's newly-set.

Quote from: Hobbes on February 21, 2023, 10:50:57 AMI've done some experiments with this, mostly as a filler for gaps between parts. Drawback is that it gets really hard, making it more difficult to sand.

Not an issue if you substitute the Talc.

And because it's inert, it doesn't have the potential to weep or discolour over time like the baking soda does.

kerick

I've used the baking soda for years and never had a problem. Just don't use it inside the fuselage and close it up right away. Cloudy canopy for sure. I saw a video about using CA and graphite. Not a fan. It didn't harden properly like the baking soda and made a graphite mess on the work bench.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Flyer

Any adverse reactions if using the talcum powder and CA accelerator?
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Dizzyfugu

I have successfully used resin sanding/drilling residue as CA filler, but I am not a fan of the method and rather use 2C putty to fill bigger gaps.

zenrat

I've tried it.  I made a mess and glued my fingers to things I didn't want to glue them to.
I'll stick with putty or filler.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 22, 2023, 02:03:50 AMI've tried it.  I made a mess and glued my fingers to things I didn't want to glue them to.

Oooops,  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Quote from: Flyer on February 21, 2023, 09:49:49 PMAny adverse reactions if using the talcum powder and CA accelerator?

No; the talc is inert, so the accelerator will only act on the CA.

The Wooksta!

It only weeps if you use baking powder, as there's other chemicals in it. Baking Soda proper is okay.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Flyer

Quote from: frank2056 on February 23, 2023, 08:12:44 AM
Quote from: Flyer on February 21, 2023, 09:49:49 PMAny adverse reactions if using the talcum powder and CA accelerator?

No; the talc is inert, so the accelerator will only act on the CA.

Cool, was just wondering if the accelerator was used if it would expand or swell or something. I'll try it out at some point, I have a type of CA that will only set if accelerator is used on it, that's why I asked.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

frank2056

Quote from: Flyer on February 23, 2023, 03:37:04 PMCool, was just wondering if the accelerator was used if it would expand or swell or something. I'll try it out at some point, I have a type of CA that will only set if accelerator is used on it, that's why I asked.

It may not work then, since the accelerator may not make it into the main body of the "putty".

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 23, 2023, 09:33:28 AMIt only weeps if you use baking powder, as there's other chemicals in it. Baking Soda proper is okay.

IIRC baking powder is baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) bulked out with flour.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..