First Reban FTL-Ship "Ukumka"

Started by nönöbär, February 19, 2023, 02:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

This will be a long-time project which i am thinking about for quite a while now.

Background:
In 2127, the Rebans had their "first contact" with an alien race when they were "discovered" by the human explorer ship EX-1. At this time, Rebans had a technology level allowing them of interplanetary travel inside their own solar system setting up a few small colonies there. At the time if the discovery, Rebans were building their first interstellar ship which was planned to fly to their neighbor star system, a journey that would take at least 15 years.

But contact with humans changed everything and now the Rebans got access to FTL technology. This model should be their first own build FTL ship.

The model will be completely 3D printed, the "big" parts like hull, decks etc will be made with the filament printer, all smaller details like machinery, Rebans, equipment will be made with the Resin printer.

The model will be made deck by deck and they will be stacked together. Pars of the hull will be open, so that that you can look inside and see all the interior.  Diameter of each deck will be 10cm (as this is 1/200 scale, the ship is 20 meters in diameter).

Right now the general layout as a simply overview drawing will be like this:

But its possible that things will change during construction...

The first deck to start with will be the one with the FTL drive in it.

And one thing to mention, surprisingly, the Rebans look very much like my engineer..... :)
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

NARSES2

Looking forward to seeing this come together. This 3D printing malarkey fascinates me  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Yes, carry on! Not enough space ships around here!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

nönöbär

The construction will start with deck 3, containing the FTL hyper jump drive.

So its a good idea to create the jump drive first:

Several test prints will follow now to see if everything fits correctly

First test of the hyper jump drive, anti-gravity lift and parts of the deck

Adding the outer hull. Diameter is 10cm, deck height is 4cm

Adding the gallery deck and a new outer hull with an open segment, so that you can look into it when its done

A little paint test - and adding the first Rebans. My engineer likes them as they have some similarities with her.

Constructing the complete deck in 3D. The yellow parts are placeholders for the machinery, green the anti-gravity lists. Red and blue are some other equipment parts.

Next step will be to make the real prints for this deck.

--------------------

Old Wombat

Well beyond me, I'm afraid, but the idea looks like fun & I like the Rebans, too! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 26, 2023, 04:10:25 AMWell beyond me, I'm afraid, but the idea looks like fun & I like the Rebans, too! :thumbsup:

Totally agree with all the above  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nönöbär

The FTL-Jump drive needs some auxiliary machinery, here is a first batch of the hyper-energy-converters

And we need a hype-crystal diffusor. I only need one of those, but I usually print more than one at the same time, just in case that one print does not work so well.

Of course I need some Rebans. Those are 3D scanned, scaled down lot (size 8-9mm) and then printed and painted. The human figures - some technological advisors - are repainted model train figures in Z-scale (1:220).

The lower deck with printed and painted machinery. The FTL drive in the middle is still a test model.

The upper gallery with some control stations, a workbench and other things.

And very important - as Rebans are hungry all the time, I need a soda-dispenser, a snack machine and a server rack (from left to right).

--------------------

Old Wombat

I got a Euro cent off of the foreign currency tray behind me & have it on the desk right now &, Brother nönöbär, I am gobsmacked at how tiny these things are! :blink:

Fantastic micro-modelling, my friend! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

To right Guy..that's a damn small coin ..very impressive work .
What's really impressing me is the writing of those print files...that's some extremely small measurements going on there  :thumbsup:   :bow:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

nönöbär

Well, those little Rebans were definitely at the limit what I can paint. But if i would build it in a bigger scale, I would not have any room to store the completed model.

--------------------

nönöbär

While I concentrate on the deck with the jump drive first, I will also work on some concepts for other parts of the ship

Like this, a little test print for the landing gear

The railing on the gallery deck

A test if deck, gallery and railings fir as they should. They do :)

The ship hull of this deck as it comes out of the printer. A part of the hull is removed so you can look into it, but the printer needs to print some support structure to print it correctly.

--------------------

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr