Leo1 SPAAMS

Started by Wardukw, February 16, 2023, 11:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

OK so a while ago I brought a very cheap Tamiya Flakpanzer Gerpard cause I needed it's turret and guns which left me with a chassis which I had no use for .

Well I've had an idea which was inspired by the Cubans who mounted SA-2 guideline missiles on to T-55 tank chassis and nice just happen to have 2 SA-2 missiles in my stash ..so ya just gotta ask yourself .."what's a block to do ?"  :wacko:

So you chaps can already guess where this is going and I've already made a start .
First thing was to replace the tracks with rubber ones from a Trumpeter M1A1 Abrams ( which came with 2 sets ) and I nicked the drive sprockets as well .
The Abrams is one of those battery powered jobs even tho it's a proper model so some mods needed to take place to get the sprockets to fit into the Tamiya leo1 hull.
Super easy cause the gearbox is screwed into the hull and the mounting holes lined up from the hull to the gearbox..epic  :thumbsup:
Just had to cut the axle down a little bit dew to a width issue.
Other than that super easy mod...the turret is a different matter.
Now me being me this is where things start to go from easy to complicated as hell .
I was just going to build a rather simple system from the launch rails and it would have looked OK...but I want it to be big and ridiculous and imposing looking so the entire first idea is binned.
Idea No2 is much bigger ..much cooler ..yep more complicated but weirdly easier for the overall build .
Pics will follow when we can get the hell out of here ..we're still trapped .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

First up, sounds like you are doing mostly ok between Cyclones and earthquakes. The Shaky Isles really did not need both. All the best to our cousins across the ditch.

Now to the build, this is a great concept. Like the Soviet Ganef, there is something weirdly likeable about a tank chassis with honking great missiles  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

;D Buzzy mate things have changed as i have made it into Thames so now i can at least throw a couple of pics up and you want honking great missiles matey you got em  :wacko:
Now this is was first idea which is normal and boring ...
DSCF3981 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Now the second idea is much more stupid which of course makes it the right choice  ;D
DSCF3982 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

Theres gonna be a frame built between the missiles so they can fire ...im going to try to make it look like its a factory built system and not some hacked together machine ..ya know ..just to make it more annoying to build  :lol:
Oh to give you guys some idea on this these missiles in the RW are 10.3 mtrs ( 34 ft) long amd weight in a 2300kgs each .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

OK so ive been playing with this thing and to be honest guys it's getting a wee bit out of control.
I started to build the framework for the launch rails and the math I did last night was as useful as wet toilet paper .
It's so much bigger and wider and since I want the rails above the missiles it's made it even taller than first thought ...it's now looking more like the monster 4 tracked hunter killer from the terminator movies...and a model I'd love to get me hands on  ;D
I did say I wanted to build something ridiculous and big and I'm well on my way to doing that.

Old Wombat

Oh, good! Another Wardukw Wonder Weapon! ;D  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Steel Penguin

have you considered using a T  to suspend them from as opposed to something like a box,   it may look rather gangely but might be an idea.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

buzzbomb

Certainly a bigger missile then I thought once you see it on Leopard chassis :o

I can see you will have a bit of engineering to work through that one

zenrat

I'd quite like someone to kit a 1/48 Ganef.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Cheers Guy  ;D  ;D ..it's bloody turning into a mad arse wonder weapon that's for sure  :wacko:

Penguin mate that exactly what I'm going ..the T configuration is what has gotten me into this mess which in turn has made this a heap bigger ..hell this used to be a Gepard..quite a tall vehicle..this makes the Gepard look small  <_<

Buzzy this is why it's gotten so big.. those Sa-2s are alot longer than ya think when all ya see is numbers ..so glad the road got cleared so I could post those pics.

Fred I don't do 48th armour but even I'd would say yes to a Ganef in 48th..still be a good sized model ..but if take a 35th one first  :thumbsup:

Steel Penguin

fair enough,  :thumbsup:   only other thing i can think of then is have them on an I  or upsidedown V shape  but that wont be much shorter   dang  :banghead:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Wardukw

Going the normal route would have been ten times better as there would be no width issues cause of the booster fins which are 54mm tip to tip ..so i need a heap of space there  and then there's the height..which is nuts now ..from the treads to the top of the T it's sitting at 140mm ..so freaking high but the visual effect is gonna be good ..the height combined with the lenght of the missiles will make it look right and well stupid but in a good way  :wacko:

Wardukw

OK it's 💯 percent confirmed..this has gotten completely out of control ..this thing is freaking huge and now the chassis isn't wide enough to keep the missiles inside the vehicles hull width...so I'm going to widen the Leo-1s hull by probably 20 to 25mm just to keep the proportions right ..which of course is going to make it even bigger.

Damn this thing is just becoming a monster.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Guy ya evil bugger  ;D ..why do I get the feeling you knew this was gonna happen  :o

Popcorn is a good idea Fred...from a quick build to a freaking marathon  :lol: