Main Menu

Lockheed F-80E

Started by mat, February 13, 2023, 08:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

In 1948 Lockheed proposed a improved version of the P-80 - the P-80E (L-181-1). It combined the stretched fuselage of the T-33 (then know as TF-80C) with a swept wing and  an afterburning Allison J-33-A-33. It was not accepted and the F-80C produktion ended in october 1951

But what if it had been put into service. It could have reached the squadrons in the early 50's.

My model will be based on a old 1/72 T-33 kit from my stash, - which long time ago lost its tiptanks to a (R)F-84G conversion - and pieces from my scrapyard

The Rat

Sounds good, and looks good! From the Secret Projects site:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Would have been even better with longer wings........................

Just sayin'........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 13, 2023, 10:15:07 AMWould have been even better with longer wings........................

Just sayin'........  ;)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Dizzyfugu

Curious about the wing donors! I mated a Heller F-94B with wings from a F-86F some time ago, which made a very nice combo, but I guess that the wings depicted in the proposal drawing above have less sweep?

mat

QuoteCurious about the wingh donors! I mated a Heller F-94B with wings from a F-86F some time ago, which made a very nice combo, but I guess that the wings depicted in the proposal drawing above have less sweep?

At the moment the most likely candidat for a wing donor is a old Matchbox Me262. But first I have to dig it out of my stash to see, if that idea works out.

jcf

Another L-181-1 drawing, and the VG L-204-1, F-94 based, if anybody wants to go crazy.  :wacko:

The L-181-1/P-80E wing-sweep angle was to be 35º, the 262 wing-sweep angle is only 18.5º.

You cannot view this attachment.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: mat on February 14, 2023, 03:23:37 AM
QuoteCurious about the wingh donors! I mated a Heller F-94B with wings from a F-86F some time ago, which made a very nice combo, but I guess that the wings depicted in the proposal drawing above have less sweep?

At the moment the most likely candidat for a wing donor is a old Matchbox Me262. But first I have to dig it out of my stash to see, if that idea works out.

That sounds interesting. I thought about modified J29 wings (25° sweep, IIRC), without the late F's dog tooth and maybe a slightly more swept leading edge to create the F-80E's wing taper?

Tophe

I have been inspired for an asymmetric zwilling drawing, thanks! <_<

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/L-181-11.jpg
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

jcf

I did a quick n' dirty overlay using the drawing that has the P-80D and P-80E side-by-side.

The leading edge angle of the swept wing appears to be a match for the small angled section
where the standard P-80 wing meets the fuselage.

It looks to my eye that you could cut the wings at the point where the angle changes and sweep
them back to match the angle. This would, of course, require cutting appropriately angled wedges
from the wings. They'd also need to be moved forward if you want to match the drawing. It looks
like it might be possible to do something similar with the horizontal stabilizers, although it that case
it would be adding wedges to keep the span similar.

mat

A test shows, that the wings of the SAAB 29 Tunnan seems to be a good starting point for the F-80E wing. Especially the early wing without dog tooth. But I have to do with the SAAB 29 E/F wing, as the resin wings from Maestro Models are already reserved for a J 29B

Dizzyfugu

You can easily mod late J29 wings to the early configuration. The outer wing leading edges can be cut down and re-sculpted without major problems, at least on the Airfix/Heller and Matchbox kits.  :lol:

The combo looks very good!  :thumbsup:

mat

The kit have been found in my stash and its time to start the conversion

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

I must check the spares box(es), I think I have a pair of J29 somewhere - and an Airfix P-80C, too.  :wacko: