USN AKD - cargo destroyer

Started by JoeP, February 04, 2023, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeP

Here are the images on Shutterfly

USN cargo destroyer

AKD - cargo-carrying destroyer

An experimental rebuild of an obsolescent destroyer into a fast cargo transport. The need was seen for transfer of high value cargo greater in volume than aircraft could manage and faster than purpose-built cargo ships such as the ubiquitous Liberty and Victory classes.  Following the example of both the banana boats of the 1930s and WW2 APDs, a few obsolescent destroyers of the Sims class were rebuilt to demonstrate the concept.

All weapons and equipment aft of the funnel were removed, replaced with cargo spaces, masts, and booms, their height and loading calculated carefully to not overbalance.  One forward 5" and two 20mm were retained for self-defense, a Hedgehog mounted in B position for additional protection. 

Four ships were converted, participating in exercises such as Fast Break and Run Rabbit in the mid 50s, racing across the Atlantic or Pacific at over 20 knots with the BOR Indiana or South Dakota and other fast transports to demonstrate capacity.  The Atlantic run was manageable by the converted destroyers, but crossing the Pacific required refueling en route from the modified battleships or stopping at way stations at Midway, Guam, Wake, and the Philippines.  The ships would be retired before the end of the decade, never actively used in their planned capacity.

The source of this model was a USN DD I bought of the wrong class for a real world project.  As is our wont, that's always a great excuse to make a what-if!
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Pellson

Can't get to Shutterfly without giving them half my telephone, unfortunately. And that's a pity. I usually like your ships a lot!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Well I managed to get into shutterfly but it would not show me the pictures because I need permission from the owner. Sounds like you need to change a setting or two or you could add the pictures to your post. Use REPLY and the in the bottom left are instruction for adding a picture or two.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Create an account or go via Facebook?

NO WAY!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

JoeP

I'll get them onto my personal site and repost.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.