Mauler AEW.1

Started by Gondor, February 03, 2023, 11:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Exactly what it says on the tin.

What if the Mauler was the success instead of the Skyraider? So my fairly recent purchase of a Mauler will become an R.N. AEW.1 Mauler. Most of the parts are in the box waiting, I may need to get a spine and decals but that should be it.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Looking forward to this one. We don't get Mauled around here often !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 03, 2023, 01:01:59 PMLooking forward to this one. We don't get Mauled around here often !

Definitely under-Mauled on here! 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

jcf

Rather than being more successful than the Skyraider, how about being selected for the role taken by the Grumman AF-2W and AF-2S Guardian Hunter-Killer team?

Perhaps the Martin AM-2W and AM-2S with the former being the basis of the AEW.1.

AF-2 Guardian

AF-2W Hunter with its AF-2S Killer partner.

Gondor

Quote from: jcf on February 10, 2023, 06:47:39 PMRather than being more successful than the Skyraider, how about being selected for the role taken by the Grumman AF-2W and AF-2S Guardian Hunter-Killer team?

Perhaps the Martin AM-2W and AM-2S with the former being the basis of the AEW.1.

That sounds good as I can work a backstory around the Guardian team being replaced with one type so the hunter was repurposed. More obscure which helps to confuse the punters at shows. Thanks for the idea  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

jcf

Gondor

Started separating the major parts for this build, wings, fuselage halfs, things like that. Clean up of these parts has also started and for a new kit I am dissapointed at the amount of flash on the trailing edges of the wings. One thing that I have realized that I need to find is a pair of fuel tanks to go under the inner wing. It was only when I was looking at the inside of the wings where the mounting holes for the weapon pylons go that I thought about this. I'm not sure what will work or is best for this build, something simmilar to those used on the Skyraider AEW.1 would be best as it will help to confuse the punters at shows. The fact I have a Sword Skyraider AEW.1 in the stash to hand will help me find something suitable as well.

Gondor

Gondor

So I have started some work for this build. Seperating the major peices and cleaning them up. I have also been trying to work out some of the alterations that I feel are necessary to atcheive my aim.

First up is a picture of the central lower wing. The area outlined in black is to be removed as it is a moulded on cradle for a Torpedo I beleive  :-\

Next up is where the Port door is to be located. As can be seen, it's rough and needs to be worked out properly. I have yet to make my mind up if the door will be scribed or be an overlay of thin plastic card  :-\

And lastly for now, what is to become a new raised spine for the aircraft.

The right hand side of the black line is what I intend to use with the pointy end being shaped so the part fits onto the rear fuselage better.

Other than haveing glued one wing together, that's about it so far.

Gondor

Wardukw

Theres hacking and slashing which means im enjoying what i see here  ;D
That door might be best scribed Al ....its annoying to do but easy to fix if a booboo is made ,,makes life easier in the long run and ya wont hae to do any cutting .
Putting even the thinnest plastic sheet will still stick out quite badly and its hard to make disappear ...as ive discovered many times in the past .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

The inherant problem with this kit is the moulded cradle on the underside of the wing. If you want to put anything other than a torpedo there your going to have to cut it off! So that's what I have done!

The egg on the right is the radome that will go over the hole. It should end up looking a bit like this.....

If not eggsactly like that.  :rolleyes:

I had thought that there was some of the engine exhausts in front of the cradle, but on looking at the instructions and parts again I am not convinced of that which makes my life easier when fairing in the radome to the lower fuselage.

Gondor

Gondor

Ok, seeing that it's a Bank Holiday and my work is ostensibly shut, there are a few doing overtime as we have such a high work load and are short of a few people, so I have time on my hands. What better to do than work on one of the Group Builds I started.

So, the Mauler as kitted by A & A models has a little bit of etch in the cockpit. No problem  :-\

Rudder pedals

Thought it better to show two pictures with one of them being "edge on" to the actual pedals so you can see how they are fitted to the floor.

To make sure that I applied just enough glue I dug out a tool that I have not used for quite some time

The fork is the lower part of a sewing needle. The top is cut off and the pointed end is fitted into an old paint brush that was past it's best so cutting the bristles off was no loss. The reason the needle is dark is that it has been heated in the past to burn off the super glue that easily clogs the aplicator.

Enjoying a cuppa while I write this then back to the model, think I better find something safe to put the pedals into while I don'e need them  <_<

Gondor

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on May 08, 2023, 03:33:00 AMEnjoying a cuppa while I write this then back to the model, think I better find something safe to put the pedals into while I don'e need them  <_<

Now, that's time well spent!  :thumbsup:

(Good on the pedals too)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Moved as per request

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.