Modified X Wing

Started by Wardukw, January 30, 2023, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

A wee while back I brought a few kits off Flyer and one of them was a 48th scale X Wing.
I had one of these when I was a younger and to be honest I have no idea what happened to it but I do remember wanting another for many yrs .
Now anyone who's built will know just how bad a kit it is..cockpit detail is pretty much nonexistent..parts fit is the sort of check 3 times ..then cut or file the part until it fits which doesn't guarantee the part will match the area its ment to fit.
Pics should be up tomorrow guys if we don't get anymore road closures.
As a wiffy builder like my other esteemed colleagues here there was no way this thing was going to remain standard.
First off I knew the cockpit was going to need some real work which is what I did ..fully reworked it ..put a seat in it and detailed every inch which needed it.
Next I cranked the wings a wee bit ..not to much but enough to change them .
The gun barrels are crap..the molds didn't seat properly so everything was molded terribly..there's a pic to show how bad they are ..so new barrels have been made and almost ready to be mounted but they won't go on yet as the engines have been getting some work as well.
New intakes were the first thing to be made and their getting alot more attention as is the rear parts.
The exhausts have been worked and thinned and look much better .
Using parts with which were sent to me by Scotaidh ive been able to give the engines an entirely new look ..still alot of work left on those but so far there getting to where my mind is going  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Righto then lads ...heres the pics ,,.
Frist off the cockpit ...terrible it was but not anymore .
This is what AMT give ya .
DSCF3919 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
And this is what i did with it ,,,
DSCF3930 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3936 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3944 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Now the guns ...you can see clearly just how bad these were ..
DSCF3923 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3928 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Now the replacements ..not finished yet boys ..a little bit more to go on these ..
DSCF3953 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
The back end of the fuselage also didnt get missed out on ...looks a ton better now .
DSCF3929 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3940 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
You can see the wings didnt get to cut up and they now look like what the soft bit in my head saw ..
DSCF3941 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
The engines now are getting my attention ...think they look quite cool and yes theres still much to go on these ..this is not that close to the end result .
DSCF3945 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3946 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
And the intakes ,,,they look like what i wanted ..different and more spacey  ;D
DSCF3947 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3948 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Back end view
DSCF3950 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
More to come laddies  :thumbsup:

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AeroplaneDriver

Loving what you're doing with the engines. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

killnoizer

Great work !

Did you ever seen the grandfather of the X Wings ... build in Germany at 1947 .

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 

It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

Wardukw

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 31, 2023, 03:29:19 PMLoving what you're doing with the engines. 
Wait till ya see what the finished article will look like cause as of right now....no idea at all what I'm going to do next  :wacko:

Killnoizer mate oh I have seen that beast but remember the opening to all Star wars movies...A long time ago in a galaxy far far away ...well dew to the way time works in space your bird could be hundreds of yrs younger than a XWing ..dude things can get extremely weird when it comes to time and space.

Flyer

Looking really good  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
                                           X
                                     :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:   
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Wardukw

Thanks Brad mate  ;D
I'm playing with the guns right now ..tarting them up with extra details and since this is ment to be a up upgraded X Wing they need to change .
I'll start with the engines soon as the ideas clear themselves up .

Weaver

Nice work - that's PROPER greeblifying: pipes & cables that go from somewhere, to somewhere, for a purpose. The purpose might be sci-fi techo-babble, but it doesn't look like somebody just lathered a flat surface in spray mount then tipped their spares box over it at random. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Another problem I found with that model back in the day is that with the wings closed, they freely rock up and down in the fuselage. Never could figure out a way of fixing it back then. Of course for static display, you could just have them permanently in "attack position".
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Dizzyfugu

Ah, I have built this AMT X-Wing, too, many moons ago. I avoided the messy/poor cockpit through a tinted (brown window color) canopy... Was one of my first models that was successfully weathered with paint and graphite, must still be somewhere in the basement (not on "public display" due to its size), but in a rather sorry state.

Wardukw

Thanks ya gents  ;D
Weaver mate those pipes and bits are from the parts box all right but the amount of hunting for the bits which would look the part was a nightmare...I had to really open the imagination side of the soft squishy bit just to not only find the bits I would need but the bits which would look right and oh man it was pain but the result works and you mentioned the pipes and cables ..if their there they have to go from point A to point B ..my mind won't let it be any other way .

Dizzy find it mate  ;D ..I want to see it and I know it will be worth seeing and I'm pretty sure the rest of the gents would too..give me some inspiration on what I'm gonna do to this thing  :thumbsup:

buzzbomb

Ahhh the classic, Raise Joystick... completely rebuild the model, lower Joystick build

Awesome work

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 01, 2023, 12:33:59 AMDizzy find it mate  ;D ..I want to see it and I know it will be worth seeing and I'm pretty sure the rest of the gents would too..give me some inspiration on what I'm gonna do to this thing  :thumbsup:

It was basically built OOB, just with the "hidden" cockpit, just R2 unit was never finished or mounted into the opening. I remember that I added toothpicks to the "gun barrels" to stabilze them, and the shaky body position when the wings were closed (as you already mentioned). It was painted authentically, with Humbrol 147 as basic overall tone, just the orange/red wing markings were modified to represent "Red 2" instead of "5". And the upper guns received a pale yellow trim, for a more individual look. For some time it hung under my bedroom's ceiling, as I omitted the wacky landing gear.