Churchill BARV - Done !

Started by buzzbomb, January 27, 2023, 11:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Finally back at the bench after the move of abode.
This weekend at a Model Club Build Camp.... loving it.
Took an old Churchill build that need a revamp.

Reading around Churchill sites, there have been a couple mentions of the original BARV (Beach Armoured Recovery Vehicle) concept, may have been based on the Churchill, before moving to the Sherman as the base hull.

With the carcass of the Churchill, it was time to have a go at a "what if" Churchill BARV. It is an old Legends conversion of the Tamiya Mk VII Churchill back to the Mk IV versions.

Bit of hackage to remove bits not needed

Start getting the hull shape together. The basic concept of the boaty hull works, to get all the bits of a tank that does not like water, waterproofed was clearly the way forward

Bit more detail and starting the rivetting. Out of rivets so, more to follow a bit later.

Next will the push gear, more rivets, walkways and lots of other stuff

Thanks for looking

Wardukw

Buzzy mate ...this is the stuff I love..this is getting alot more than a once over from me buddy  ;D
I was wanting to build an assault gun based on a Chruchill then I remembered..I don't have one ..so ging to use a Centurion instead.
Keep it going ..im loving this  :wub:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Chaos

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Interesting.  I wasn't aware of BARVs but I just read the wikipaedia page.
I like the idea of a tank with a diver in the crew.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Oh I'm shocked Fred  ;D
BARVs been around since WW2..the Sherman is the most common ..next came the Chieftain and I'm sure the Brits still use em based on a Leo2 or 1 tank ..or both  :lol:
I'd never seen a Churchill version so I'm loving this build .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rheged

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_armoured_recovery_vehicle  might be of interest.  Talking to a couple of Royal Marines I know, they are not totally happy with the "Hippo"  and would, ideally, like the Centurion BARV back!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 28, 2023, 10:57:51 AMOh I'm shocked Fred  ;D
BARVs been around since WW2..the Sherman is the most common ..next came the Chieftain and I'm sure the Brits still use em based on a Leo2 or 1 tank ..or both  :lol:

Oh i've always primarily been a car modeller who has been sidetracked into planes.  Armour is something I enjoy building but not something i'll research.  Except the little bit needed to make sure what I am thinking about building is a whiff.  That and reading Tank Girl comics.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on January 29, 2023, 04:11:39 AM

Oh i've always primarily been a car modeller who has been sidetracked into planes.  Armour is something I enjoy building but not something i'll research.  Except the little bit needed to make sure what I am thinking about building is a whiff.  That and reading Tank Girl comics.

That's a very good excuse matey  ;D
That Tank Girl M5 would be a challenge to build..hell of a lot of bits on that  and most won't be found in most blokes parts boxes .

Weaver

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 29, 2023, 10:19:31 AM

That Tank Girl M5 would be a challenge to build..hell of a lot of bits on that  and most won't be found in most blokes parts boxes .

I made a start on the original comics version (a sort of giant Scorpion rather than an M5, and surprisingly free of junk-shop dressing) using two 1/48th Marders, a chopped-up 1/48th Tiger II turret, a 1/48th WWI fighter plane and a 1/144th Vostok rocket  ;) .  Didn't get much further than sticking a few bits together though, as I got bogged down trying to engineer the wild running gear and then got distracted by other things.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Wardukw

Quote from: Weaver on January 29, 2023, 01:19:49 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 29, 2023, 10:19:31 AM

I made a start on the original comics version (a sort of giant Scorpion rather than an M5, and surprisingly free of junk-shop dressing) using two 1/48th Marders, a chopped-up 1/48th Tiger II turret, a 1/48th WWI fighter plane and a 1/144th Vostok rocket  ;) .  Didn't get much further than sticking a few bits together though, as I got bogged down trying to engineer the wild running gear and then got distracted by other things.
I've got the movie of Tank Girl and yep I've looked at the thing closely ..just to much fiddling about to make it look like the movie tank and to be honest I'd rather do something else with a M5 as the tank girl machine don't really rock my boat.
I'd rather put a gatling gun on one like a vulcan 20mm ;D 

zenrat

The Tank Girl movie is, while fun, nowhere near as good as the comics.

Fred

buzzbomb

Meanwhile.. back at the bench  ;D

thanks for the interest.

On a roll with this one.

Added some more detail and had a rivetting experience. I use Tichy Train rivets. Simple to use, mark carefully, drill, cut the rivet and drop in.

Half profile full frontal ;D Damn one set of tracks is backwards :o Luckily not fully fitted yet.

The top with the access, inlets and exhausts

Next step is the walkways and some detail gubbins.

Wardukw

It's great man . ;D ..hope your gonna weather the hell out of it ..or even lightly for that matter..it's amazing how fast the paint changes when it's been smacked by slat water regularly.