Spray away!

Started by The Rat, January 22, 2023, 02:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Canadian winter, no proper spray booth, indoor fumes... What to do?

I took an old piece of panelling, of which we have many, taped a bunch of decals to it, took it outside long enough to give them a good clear coat, and Bob's yer uncle! I imagine you could also spray primer on a sprue full of parts if necessary.

Spray board by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Gondor

Quote from: The Rat on January 22, 2023, 02:02:45 PMCanadian winter, no proper spray booth, indoor fumes... What to do?

I took an old piece of panelling, of which we have many, taped a bunch of decals to it, took it outside long enough to give them a good clear coat, and Bob's yer uncle! I imagine you could also spray primer on a sprue full of parts if necessary.

Spray board by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

That's roughly what I do.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Scotaidh

Doesn't that make it difficult to remove the decals from their backing?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 23, 2023, 02:32:12 AMDoesn't that make it difficult to remove the decals from their backing?

You need to trim them of course, but they still come off when soaked in water as usual.

My home printed ones work just the same way, and they need clear coating all over just to seal in the printed ink.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Just miss read the thread title and had an image of Brian Cant pop into my mind  :unsure:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on January 23, 2023, 05:34:12 AMJust miss read the thread title and had an image of Brian Cant pop into my mind  :unsure:

Gondor

That's showing your age!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on January 23, 2023, 05:47:54 AM
Quote from: Gondor on January 23, 2023, 05:34:12 AMJust miss read the thread title and had an image of Brian Cant pop into my mind  :unsure:

Gondor

Ditto   ;D

Gondor

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on January 23, 2023, 07:42:14 AM
Quote from: Rheged on January 23, 2023, 05:47:54 AM

Gondor

Ditto   ;D

Gondor

You are, of course, correct!...............................and I'm eight years older/dafter/ more delinquent  than you!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Steel Penguin

thank you gents i hadn't realised unit you mentioned it, and now cant unsee it either.  :unsure:

I will admit that my spraying is done much the same  on a board that is taken outside, then the paint drys either in situ, or in the shed if warm, or in the back room if not,  not having room to be able to get a spray booth + extraction is rather limiting,  but does mean i have to work smart on it. :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

sandiego89

I rattle can primer and colors, and airbrush, all the time outdoors even in cold weather.  I make sure the cans and kit is at nice indoor room temperature and run outside for a few minutes (except when really humid), the back into the garage for drying.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 23, 2023, 12:57:35 PMI rattle can primer and colors, and airbrush, all the time outdoors even in cold weather.  I make sure the cans and kit is at nice indoor room temperature and run outside for a few minutes (except when really humid), the back into the garage for drying.   

Yes, I do the same. The paint spray is very cold as it exits the nozzle anyway, just because it's exiting a nozzle.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2023, 01:47:19 PM
Quote from: sandiego89 on January 23, 2023, 12:57:35 PMI rattle can primer and colors, and airbrush, all the time outdoors even in cold weather.  I make sure the cans and kit is at nice indoor room temperature and run outside for a few minutes (except when really humid), the back into the garage for drying.   

Yes, I do the same. The paint spray is very cold as it exits the nozzle anyway, just because it's exiting a nozzle.

My neighbors must think I am mad, running outside for 30 seconds or so in the cold, and me in a t-shirt, spray something, then jut back inside.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

WRT clear coating transfers, what does everyone use?

I've been using Testors Decal Bonder Spray but it is now unobtainable here so I need a replacement.
I did try using my usual clear (rattle can acrylic clear coat) but it cracked when I applied the transfers.  I may have applied it a bit heavily though.  I need to try again with lighter coats.

Any suggestions.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..