Lockheed CometLiner

Started by TomZ, January 11, 2023, 09:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Lockheed CometLiner

When in the early 1950s the British introduced the De Havilland Comet as the first jet powered airliner, the Lockheed company was taken by surprise and did not have an answer.

Soon it became clear that both Boeing and Douglas were working on their own jet airliners and Lockheed did not want to miss out. The company approached De Havilland and concluded a deal in which the Americans could produce the Comet wing and engines. This they matched to the proven fuselage of the Super Constellation to create the Lockheed CometLiner.

The design proved a big success and after the problems with the Comet I fuselage, also De Havilland started producing and selling the CometLiner. In total 432 aircraft were built.

Model: Revell 1/144 Super Constellation and RugRat Resin Comet

After I saw an artist impression of this aircraft here https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=37210.msg943686#msg943686,  I had to create my own version.

A Revell Super Constellation and a RugRat Resin kit from the stash combined to create the CometLiner.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Wardukw

So clean and smooth Tom ..im not a air liner person but ya gotta love something this clean ..bloody nice stuff matey  :thumbsup:  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

Great build and back story, I've got to build that in 1/72 scale  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Some angles, it looks so strange, but others, it looks so right ! Nice one !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

How long did the military version serve? I suspect well into the 90s as a transport and ASW patrol.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

I swear blind I flew to Barcelona on that in the 70's  ;D

Very attractive looking build Tom  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Quote from: kerick on January 11, 2023, 03:14:55 PMHow long did the military version serve? I suspect well into the 90s as a transport and ASW patrol.

Now there's an idea. Perhaps I need to do one more......

TomZ

zenrat

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 11, 2023, 03:02:03 PMSome angles, it looks so strange, but others, it looks so right ! Nice one !

I think the wings should be set a bit further back.  Or the fuselage shortened behind the wings.
Excellent piece of work though.  Great job.
 :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

That would go down a storm on the Airliner SIG stand.  :thumbsup:

But shouldn't it have been named a StarComet? Lockheed stuff always started off with  'Star'.

And are you going to do an  Ericr and put the Coonie wings on the Comet fuselage too?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 12, 2023, 02:00:29 AMThat would go down a storm on the Airliner SIG stand.  :thumbsup:

But shouldn't it have been named a StarComet? Lockheed stuff always started off with  'Star'.

And are you going to do an  Ericr and put the Coonie wings on the Comet fuselage too?  ;D
They fit on the Airfix HS/BAe Nimrod, although there's a very large gap between the Heller/Airfix  Connie wings.
Might be a better fit in a smaller scale.

TomZ

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 12, 2023, 02:00:29 AMAnd are you going to do an  Ericr and put the Coonie wings on the Comet fuselage too?  ;D

I already have but that one still needs to be finished. It doesn't look that spectacular though as the Comet fuselage is a rather bland cylinder.
So you get a piston engined airliner with a round fuselage.....

TomZ

comrade harps

Whatever.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Tophe

Great model, great mix, nicely inventive! :thumbsup:  :bow:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]