Gun Truck...

Started by Wardukw, December 30, 2022, 03:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Ok i saw this pic online of this Kraz 6x6 with a ZU-57-2 mounted on the back of it ,,,this one in fact ...
Cf_VS66W8AIb7L0 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Well the ideas started to flow then but the Kraz is a expensive kit and of course living here i would have to buy one from over seas and since this wiffy world using the Kraz truck just wouldnt cut the mustard boys so with very little effot i found the Italeri HEMTT gun truck .
Building this wasnt going to a problem as ive had this model at least 4 times in the past but i dont remember it being as bad as this one ...parts fitment is not good ..fact the word crap comes to mind but im ok with that as it came with rubber tyres but a very good Gentleman but the name of Old Wombat said to go with AM wheels which i liked the idea of alot but i didnt have any HEMTT wheels to play with ....but <---theres that word again..i did have AM wheels for the M1070 HET tank transporter ,,no need to say what happened next huh ?  ;D
I had them mounted on a Boxer cause i didnt like the kits wheels ...nothing wrong with them at all really but they are standard wheels and i didnt like that but to fit the HEMTT a little work was required .
DSCF3839 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3840 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3841 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
The models so called engine which is total rubbish and totally wrong ...the real machine used a turbo charged 6cyl engine and the one with the kit is a V8 ,,,so i gave it a V8 engine ..
DSCF3842 by Phill Harrison, on FlickrDSCF3843 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3844 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Since the new wheels are far more larger than the kits wheels in depeth and slightly taller the spare wheel that comes with the kit is the terrible old plastic one and ive hated them since day one ...so this also got sorted .
DSCF3846 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3848 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Next came the interior which is bland as hell ...theres alot of missing detail in there so i added a small amount without going to nuts ,,,
This is the how Italeri thought the interior should look like ..
DSCF3849 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3852 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
This is mine ..
DSCF3853 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3854 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Dont worry about the putty..not cleaned up yet .
DSCF3855 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Now to the outside of the cab ,,since this the verison with added armour i descided to add more ,,,ceramic armour and the best thing to use for that is real ceramic armour but where do ya get that from ? i here you asked ...computer mother boards chaps ,,,lots of different sizes and thicknesses and i tore a heap of them apart for them and im glad i did .
The door armour is a large quite thing chip and that was cut with just a disc saw on my Dremel .
DSCF3856 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3858 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3859 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Thats it for now guys ...many more pics to follow as im pretty much taking pics of the build process but that will be next year  ;D 
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

scooter

Looks like the level three ghetto/hillbilly/scrounged armor most of our vehicles (TF Liberty/42(M)) had going into Iraq in '05.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

thundereagle1997

So is it a road version of the AC-130 I'm wondering?

Wardukw

Oh that's an idea  :lol:
Would depend on which version I suppose  :wacko:
Would make for a pretty big rig to handle that amount of fire power.
It's like today I watched the great sandy shoot 2022 and there's a group there with 4 M134 mini guns mounted on the old quad .50 turret used on the M16 half track..all 4 firing at once is very impressive and dumping a ton of lead down range..I want one  ;D
Oh with the prices of mini guns in the US now..that set up would be close to a million bucks plus at today's prices for miniguns which average $200k US up and the $1500 to $3000 per minute it takes to feed it working on the price of .50 cents US per round of 7.62 NATO .. but today's prices could be a bit more than that.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

4 miniguns @ a minimum RoF of 1500 rnds/min = 6000 rnds/min minimum going down range :wacko:

Just imagine the hours & days of re-loading & re-linking it'd take to prepare for the next meet! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Guy just go to YouTube and search BIG sandy shoot 2022..the ex aussie Leo 1 they fire should put a smile on ya face..no smile watching a miniguns..ya jaw just drops when ya see that  :lol:

kerick

The Spooky gunship over South Vietnam carried three miniguns in the C-47 and usually fired only two at a time and still could wipe out a huge area. Four at a time would be unthinkable. You would need a dump truck just to carry the ammo.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Yeah I know that bird Kerick mate..had a 72nd scale model of one and you can bet firing all 4 at max rpm would empty their ammo out real fast so what they did was turn the rpm down to 1500 to 3000 rpm and then you can fire all 4 at once ..better area coverage ...and not empty their ammo to fast .
I was watching the fire from a AC-130 at work using the 20mm Vulcans and the amount they fired would suggest they carried 100.000 rounds  :lol:
We knew when they fired the 105mm  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 01, 2023, 02:02:15 PMWe knew when they fired the 105mm  ;D

I bet the pilot did too!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 01, 2023, 03:38:45 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 01, 2023, 02:02:15 PMWe knew when they fired the 105mm  ;D

I bet the pilot did too!  :o
From what I've been told ..not so much..even the gun crew don't really feel it much..it has a soft recoil system so it don't try to tear it's self out of the plane  :lol:

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 01, 2023, 11:37:25 AMGuy just go to YouTube and search BIG sandy shoot 2022..the ex aussie Leo 1 they fire should put a smile on ya face..no smile watching a miniguns..ya jaw just drops when ya see that  :lol:

I've actually seen video of the quad mini-gun firing at night, quite impressive, even if they weren't using enough tracer! :wacko:

I may look up the rest of the shoot but I'm going to be of-line for about a week, as Mrs Wombat & I are heading over to the Eyre Peninsula to visit my daughter & grandson. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Ok as promised its next yr so heres some stuff on the guntruck.
Righto ive been playing with this thing as the weather has been crap so its been epic getting work done on models and not on everything else which needs doing but i cant be buggered with  ;D
So this is how it is right now ...
First off heres the base for the turret and yes it looks alot like the real machine but i couldnt come up with an idea which worked as well as this does ...mine is not exactly the same so that makes it mine  :wacko: 
DSCF3862 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3863 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3864 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3866 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Now the crane..since the orginal place it sits is now no good it needed a new home and man did it need some detail ....even a small amount would be a big improvement ,,,so i did ..
Before
DSCF3868 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
It also wouldnt close properly so i fixed that too.
DSCF3869 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
After
DSCF3871 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3872 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3873 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Now here it is and how its layed out ,,it is painted now but dudes i am not going to wreck your eye site cause it looks like rolled crap ,,,the colours are all wrong and im not a happy chappy
DSCF3875 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3879 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3880 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

Oh by the way even tho its complete i have decided to modify it with a few things its lacking  lights for night time work ,,,so those wll be added too..a wee bit more detail but nothing mental .
Thats it for now ,,the next will be the complete model .

PR19_Kit

Cor, that's amazing, and looks totally brutal.  :thumbsup:

I LOVE the hydraulics on the crane, you've even included the drain lines, but it could do with some more ammo in the back I'm sure......  ;D  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Thanks Kit ..it's turning into something neat and I have decided to detail the interior of the cab a fare bit more ..personal type stuff.
That crane was crying out for something in the way of detail so I added some..looks good for what was done to it.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..