Highland midge... Sorry! Mirage!

Started by Beermonster58, December 24, 2022, 02:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beermonster58

Latest offering from my long term project covering aircraft operated by Feachd-adhair Poblachd na H-Alba (Air Force - Independent Scottish Republic). With a non specific timeline, I could theoretically include anything  from a Sopwith Camel to an F-35! ;D
Anyway, subject kit is the excellent Revell (ex Italeri) Mirage IIIE. Brush painted using Revell Aqua Colours chosen per my TLAR (That Looks About Right) paint charts. As always, I welcome any constructive criticism,hints,suggestions etc. I do NOT welcome sarky, snide political/racial comments which,sadly have been flung in my direction elsewhere.
This is purely a fun project and, it seems a lot of people simply do not comprehend the "what if" concept!! Modellers eh! Who needs 'em! ;)

Currently on the workbench are a (naturally) Scottish Aviation Jetstream and, HS.125 Dominie - both of these Airfix kits. I figure the former as a light utility/transport aircraft and, the latter fulfilling a similar role to the Beechcraft RC-12 (hint for possible future model)
Once these are out of the way, I'll be working on the service's first jet aircraft - the F-80C (using the Airfix kit) and, T-33 (Italeri kit)

https://flic.kr/p/2o7zH9f
https://flic.kr/p/2o7zHeA
https://flic.kr/p/2o7vZvE

https://flic.kr/p/2o7B1w3
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

comrade harps

The splinter scheme really works with the Scotish markings. :wub:
Whatever.

Scotaidh

Very nice!  Where did you get your squadron markings? 

I ask because I have a fair number of Royal Scottish Airforce Whifs myself. and plan to continue ... I've been sort of adapting pictures of iconic Scots stuff - the Kelpies sculpture, for one - and printing those, but I'm out of ideas without getting ridiculous (Falkirk Wheel, anyone?)

I've been thinking about establishing a 'Sean Connery' squadron equipped with TSRs - you know ... "Bomb ... James Bomb"
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Beermonster58

Quote from: Scotaidh on December 24, 2022, 03:17:30 AMVery nice!  Where did you get your squadron markings? 

I ask because I have a fair number of Royal Scottish Airforce Whifs myself. and plan to continue ... I've been sort of adapting pictures of iconic Scots stuff - the Kelpies sculpture, for one - and printing those, but I'm out of ideas without getting ridiculous (Falkirk Wheel, anyone?)

I've been thinking about establishing a 'Sean Connery' squadron equipped with TSRs - you know ... "Bomb ... James Bomb"

The Saltires came from a sheet of waterslide decals of various sizes. I cannot remember the manufacturer but, I think its O O P anyway. However, they'd be easy to make using solid colour decal sheet with white decal stripes overlaid. That's how I did the rudder. The neat little dragon on the tail actually came from the decal sheet from the Revell (ex Esci) Tu-22 .

I'm going to print my own decals for future nose/tail art though. One of my future models will  be a C-130J. As this will represent the "heavy metal" end of the air force, I'm going to model it as either "Captain Sternn" or, "Hanover Fiste" - both characters from the Heavy Metal comic series.

Scotaidh

My efforts with decal paper came to only frustration, so I just print my designs out on regular paper and seal them with spray lacquer before trimming them close and applying them to the model (with thinned white glue).  So far it works well enough ...  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Excellent looking model there.  :thumbsup:

I can just see a QRA Flight of them climbing out over the Moray from Lossiemouth.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

NARSES2

Decals my @r$e!

McColm

Wardukw

Oh I like that ..a bloody good looking Mirage right there ..more ideas for a future build  ;)  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Beermonster58

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 24, 2022, 08:57:55 AMOh I like that ..a bloody good looking Mirage right there ..more ideas for a future build  ;)  :thumbsup:
Thank you :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: . All Mirages are bloody good looking though! ;D
I've got a few ideas.  Other than the items mentioned in my original post, I have the following types already planned ;
Lockheed C-130J
Breguet Atlantic
C-27J Spartan (Coast Guard)
Hawker Hunter FGA.9
EH-101 Merlin
Pilatus PC-7/9
Alenia M.346
F/A - 18E/F

Wardukw

Well all the delta winged Mirages are super sexy looking birds for sure mate ..the non deltas..not so much  ;D
So you've got a couple of builds in mind then ?  :wacko:
Dude if those builds end up looking as good as this then make it happen cap'n.
It will inspire me to do better with my planed builds and probably make come up with even more ideas  :unsure:
My F14 delta will need a paint sceam and 2 or 3 tone gray aint going to cut it..splinter might be on the cards mate  ;)
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Leading Observer

Quote from: McColm on December 24, 2022, 06:08:10 AMHeld together with porridge  :thumbsup:

I think Porridge is the official description for the base colour :thumbsup:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

thundereagle1997

A cropped double delta wing is better than a pure delta wing