Scorpion N.F.2

Started by Devilfish, December 16, 2022, 02:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

With the coming of the jet age, the RAF was upgrading its inventory.  The standard night fighters were the Meteor NF.11, 12 and 14, and the Mosquito NF.30.  the Meteor had the speed for this new age, but it didn't have the range, which the Mosquito did.  To replace the Mosquito, a longer range jet was needed, but the British aircraft industry had nothing on the drawing board.  To rectify this, the RAF looked towards the USA.  Northrop's F-89 would fit the bill as a stopgap.  Rather than equipping a whole squadron with them, it was decided to let each Meteor squadron have two each.  The N.F.1 was basically an F-89C, but with the introduction of the Firestreak missile, they were upgraded to N.F.2.
Although they filled the role, they were not well liked by the aircrews, as they were not that manoeuvrable.  However, they were kept in service until a suitable replacement came into service (Javelin)

Kit:  Revell 1/48 F-89C Scorpion
I did a 1/72 version a few years ago, and I always wanted to do a 1/48 version.

20221215_175159 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20221215_175210 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20221215_175219 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20221215_175231 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20221215_175242 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Ugly, but very cool - and it looks disturbingly British!  :thumbsup:

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 16, 2022, 03:53:00 AMUgly, but very cool - and it looks disturbingly British!  :thumbsup:

I 2nd that, including the latter part of the sentence..  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

SPINNERS

Yes, not a pretty aeroplane... but a pretty good model  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Another beauty ! Every aeroplane needs this scheme lol. But honestly, this looks great. Always been a fan of these big, straight winged, high tailed, tip tanked "clunkers"  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

LOVE the Scorpion! It's a BIG brutish aeroplane, but seemingly more sophisticated than its Brit equivalent, the even MORE brutish Javelin!

That looks so good in RAF camo.  :banghead:  :wub:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Another beautiful build on a very not so beautiful aircraft and I'll agree..looks bloody good in that camo  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

:wub:   :thumbsup:  :wub:  :thumbsup:  :wub:  :thumbsup:

Somebody nominate that for a Whiffie, NOW! I would do it, but Mr. Grant and his blended Scotch seem to be affecting my fingers.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

AeroplaneDriver

Works perfectly. And beautiful job with the camo! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

63cpe

What a beauty Devilfish. The camo is looking great on this bird. Love the weathering job.

David aka 63cpe

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on December 16, 2022, 02:47:46 AMSomebody nominate that for a Whiffie, NOW! I would do it, but Mr. Grant and his blended Scotch seem to be affecting my fingers.

OK, OK, if you insist..............  :thumbsup:  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

Whatever.

Glenn Gilbertson

Plausible and a magnificent model! :thumbsup: