Spad Float Plane

Started by Wardukw, December 13, 2022, 02:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Ok with Vickers vandal being the master of the bi plane and me picking up a 48th scale Spad and the temptation there i build it i had to bite the bullet and finally build the thing which is bloody small but i managed it with no broken parts at all alone the way .
Now you guys know me and ya know i cant ever leave anything alone it was decided to build it as a float plane which has now been done   <_< .
Then it was decided to make it a two seater which was also done ...
DSCF3795 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3796 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
That was a pretty easy hack up that and i made a compartment for the rear observer ,,,youll notice that theres no gun or mounting for it ,,,the reason ...i couldnt make the machine guns that the Italian navel aircraft used with are these 2 9mm magazine feed sub guns ,,called the Villar Perosa ...now a Lewis gun is small as hell in 48th ,,,this thing is even smaller again ,,i would say half the length of a Lewis so i didnt bother to be honest but ya never know as im still got it bouncing around on my head .
Next the floats ,,,,again easy and taken from another WW1 float plane i scored ,,these were lengthened by 25mm as i didnt want the Spad to have a wee little float mounted under the tail .
DSCF3799 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3800 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
This was a fast build guys ...much faster than i thought it would be  because now i have the upper wings mounted and the bracing wires in place which i was quite nervous about as this is a very small model and i have big clumsy hands and ive never done this before but after a wee bit i thinking i was able to figure it out and away i went .
I used .014 copper wire for the bracing wires which was bloody good to work with and weird as this sounds im looking forward to doing it again .
DSCF3801 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3802 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3805 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3807 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Time now for the finishing touches ,,,made a little ladder to make it eaiser for the crew and i made a transport cart for it to,,,this plane i think might end up being a museum piece in original condition and the cart is used to either display it or just move it around or both  :unsure:
Now for the remaining pics ,,,,
DSCF3809 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3810 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3811 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3812 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3814 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3815 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3818 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Next comes the paint and i do have a idea on that which im not saying doodoo about just in case it changes  ;)   
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

mexchiwa

Wardukw

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Quote from: mexchiwa on December 13, 2022, 03:00:56 PMSPADdle boat?

LOL ;D
Oh, and nice build too! Looking forward to the paint!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Thanks guys  ;D
Kerick mate I'm looking forward to it too..as I've got no idea what it will look like..Italian camo paint colours were quite strange for their navel aircraft
I did have a thought about building this again ..but in 32nd scale ..what do you guys reckon ?

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Thanks mate  ;D
Paint should be hitting it tomorrow...it hope   :unsure:

stevehed

Very nice bit of kit bashing.

Wardukw

Cheers Steve...it's a cute little bugger this one  ;D

63cpe

Looking marvelous and very subtle. Love to see this painted and all dressed up... :wub:  :thumbsup:

David aka 63cpe

Wardukw

It's getting there Dave...it's painted right now ..well mostly painted  <_<

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]