C-199

Started by Gondor, December 11, 2022, 10:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I have commented about working on this build in my blog but the build is now getting to the point where it is probably better to share some of what is going on.

One theme which may supprise a few people considering the amount of detail I have put into some previously started builds is that I don't like doing cockpits, almost hate them  :banghead:  but as they usually are the focal point to most aircraft builds it's something that I have to get better at so that it takes less time and will produce a passable result sooner so I can get onto the rest of the build because aircraft are mainly built around them.

So here is what I have done so far with the KP, ne AZ C-199 build.

The painting of the side walls was done after the base colour with any excess painted over with the base colour. I did also have a go at the detail paint first and then add the base coat on another pair of fuselage halfs which ended up slightly better. The main difficulty being keeping the bristles of the brush close together so I paint where I want and not a scale four inches either side as well  :-\

I didn't bother putting in the rudder pedals as they were very fiddily and very difficult to see. The decal that is in the bottom of the seat is a mess as well but it makes it look busy enough at 1/72 scale and through a canopy so it will do.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

Oh cockpits aren't my fav thing either...on a heap of aircraft you can barely see anything anyway ..I just finished building a Spad in 48th..there's a heap of detail inside that mini arse cockpit and you can't see doodoo..so there's no point going nuts on it..so I'm not going too. :thumbsup:
What you've done so far..looks pretty good mate  ;D
Think of it this way..once the nasty is gone ..the fun can begin.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Leading Observer

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 11, 2022, 07:42:05 PMOh cockpits aren't my fav thing either...on a heap of aircraft you can barely see anything anyway ..I just finished building a Spad in 48th..there's a heap of detail inside that mini arse cockpit and you can't see doodoo..so there's no point going nuts on it..so I'm not going too. :thumbsup:
What you've done so far..looks pretty good mate  ;D
Think of it this way..once the nasty is gone ..the fun can begin.

I hate faffing about with cockpit interiors as well - I mean what's the point of spending hours of work om something no-one will see. So I tend to get it to the "that'll do. it's close enough" stage and move on

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Wardukw

LO I've got a good or bad one for ya..used to watch this dude on YouTube who spent dozens of hours building the interior of a M4 easy eight Sherman tank..
He detailed the hell out of it..then glued the upper and lower hulls together and the only way to see all that wasted work?..looking thru the hatches  :o
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

So with the fuselage glued together it's time to test fit it to the wings which I put together earlier, a Blue Peter moment for those that know the refference  :rolleyes:

Oppps, looks like we have a problem  :banghead:

As usual, Gondor's first rule of modelling applies: Everything fit's untill you apply the glue......  and in this case when I test fitted the upper parts of the wing to the one peice lower part each side of the fuselage fitted. That was only one side at a time though, not both together  :banghead:  :banghead:

A scrap peice of plastic card was found that fitted the gap  :thumbsup:

Followed by persuading the lower fuselage seam to seperate after loosening the cockpit interior, and a section of the shim was fitted. Somehow thgoughout that whole process I managed to walk away without any injury, though I am not exactly shure how I managed that feat  :o

End result is a not bad fit

Less filling than I thought there might be on the underside as well. Don't worry about the underside of the nose, that will be glued together later with the white plastic you see acting as tabs to help with the alignment of the two haalfs as there are no locateing pins.

Starting to feel quite pleased with the result so far.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Wardukw

Man you have some gaps to play with there ...those are serious but your knocking em out  ;D

Gondor

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 12, 2022, 10:24:49 PMMan you have some gaps to play with there ...those are serious but your knocking em out  ;D

It is only 1/72 scale so they are not too big, just a little warpage of the fuselage parts and as you say, not problem at all. Should have the nose sorted this evening with any luck.

Gondor

Gondor

As predicted there was no problem closeing up the nose of the aircraft, a modern clothes peg held the parts together while the glue dried.

The wing is just held in place by friction at the time the picture was taken. With glue added and a clamp....

Only minor filling will be required.

Like Dizzy I am not usually fond of how manufacturers have the attachment of propellors to the aircraft so a tube of plastic was fitted behind the front of the nose and while the glue dries it was aligned with a cocktail stick which was just the right diameter for the job.

KP list Humbrol 240 as the colour for almost everything on the outside of the aircraft, which of course I don't have. I do have a currant Humbrol colour chart which list that number as RLM02 Grau which I do have by Xtracolour so that has been dug out ready for later use.

Gondor

Gondor

Let's go down a rabbit hole shall we?
Planning ahead I did a little light reading last night, Camouflage & Marking Number 3, The Israeli Air Force Part One 1948 to 1967. This includes the subject this build is based on and is described as being painted in RLM 68 not RLM 02 as KP would have me paint it.
So I recently got home from work and dived into the IPMS Stockholm paint guide which doesn't have RLM 68 listed, anywhere  :banghead:
OK, Google, do your thing.....
Looks like its a real paint colour, just no one makes it  :banghead:
Looks like I am going to have to mix my own or go with what KP say which could well be wrong, and that will not matter as this build is a whiff anyway so the accuracy of the paint is not that important, as long as it looks the part.
the eduard double kit of the S-199 gives a mix ratio for two colours which I don't have so that can wait and the Xtracolour RLM 01 I have will have to do unless I find something in my paint stock that looks close.

Gondor

Wardukw

An annoying problem we have all had at some point and alot of us still do .
Part of the reason I enjoy wiffies more than RW is the painting side of things ...on other sites you can build a great model but the paint is one shade off perfect so it sucks and all they do is pick at it.
Hell im 3/4 colour blind anyway so that a huge pain but in wiffy world ..my site is perfect ;D
Just go with what looks good to you mate..makes life a hell of a lot better .