Main Menu

Rockwell OV-10 T

Started by 63cpe, December 07, 2022, 09:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

This was actually a cancelled tactical cargo version from the OV-10. It never got from the drawingboard though. But what if it actually happened?

This is the starting point:
PXL_20221207_134428209 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

So instead of widening the OV-10 fuselage I choose to use a Do-28 fuselage as it comes in about the right dimension.

Cheers,
David

PR19_Kit

See the link here :-

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=23381.msg338774#msg338774

And I've STILL not finished it!

And see the Flight Simulator version of it too, a wonderful looking machine and it 'flies' very well too.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=11482.45
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Ah, I didn't know you're also doing an OV-10 variant. I guess yours is more true to the original concept as the Do-28 fuselage is a tad too wide and too long (probably).

Maybe an updated version of the original variant (with more payload).

Alas, we'll see if I 'm able to finish this project in time. I'll try to keep you posted.

The Do-28 fuselage is now in a sink cleaning fluid ( NaOH) to strip all paint. Later today will be neutralized with cola, than will be and put in water to dissolve the cola remains.

David AKA 63CPE

loupgarou

Quote from: 63cpe on December 07, 2022, 10:50:23 PMAh, I didn't know you're also doing an OV-10 variant. I guess yours is more true to the original concept as the Do-28 fuselage is a tad too wide and too long (probably).

Alas, we'll see if I 'm able to finish this project in time. I'll try to keep you posted.

The Do-28 fuselage is now in a sink cleaning fluid ( NaOH) to strip all paint. Later today will be neutralized with cola, than will be and put in water to dissolve the cola remains.

David AKA 63CPE

It seems a shame to waste cola for neutralizing a strong base. If you feel a need for a  mild acid, you could use vinegar, it wouldn't leave sticky remains like cola.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

LOL, I had a similar idea a whiel ago when I mounted an AH-1 cockpit onto an OV-10. Curious how this works out, because I am afraid that the wider hull will either interfere with the propellers, or the stabilizer has to be widened to adapt the span (and respective prop clearance) to the wider hull?

PR19_Kit

'Doing' isn't the word I'd use David, more like 'Did'! It's been YEARS since I did any work on the CV-10, it stalled on the lack of a proper canopy so I'll be interested in seeing how you get on using the Do-28 fuselage as a basis, at least it has a canopy to start with.  :thumbsup:

You build might trigger me into getting on with it at last too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: loupgarou on December 08, 2022, 12:18:09 AM
Quote from: 63cpe on December 07, 2022, 10:50:23 PMAh, I didn't know you're also doing an OV-10 variant. I guess yours is more true to the original concept as the Do-28 fuselage is a tad too wide and too long (probably).

David AKA 63CPE

It seems a shame to waste cola for neutralizing a strong base. If you feel a need for a  mild acid, you could use vinegar, it wouldn't leave sticky remains like cola.

Cheap cola is cheaper than the equivalent volume of cheap vinegar.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

63cpe

Time for a quick update:

The fuselage of the Do-28 was cleaned. The subs for the wings and engine hangers were removed and puttied to smooth out. Wings will bet put on top of the fuselage and a little more to the rear. The rear of the fuselage was cut (tail section out) and the bottom of the fuselage was kept to be angled upwards to fit a re-contoured rear fuselage. The old matchbox plastic was a tad brittle so heated the bottom of the fuselage before bending it upwards.

PXL_20221211_201137137 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20221211_201141200 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Test for positioning of the wing
PXL_20221211_201239024 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20221211_201218948 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Found out the wing of the Academy wing has a wider fuselage than the Airfix one..
PXL_20221211_201229445 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

The wing will be cut and in the middle a new section ( from the Airfix OV-10) will be put in to widen the wing over the fuselage. Same will te done for the horizontal tailplane.

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

Tophe

Congratilations David! :thumbsup:  (and Kit, and maybe Dizzy).
It is wonderful you extend the Bronco family with personnal additions! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

63cpe

PR19_Kit

That's looking VERY promising.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

That looks very good. I assume that the OV-10T will receive a nose landiung gear, too, with the main wheels in the booms?
I really like the new shape of the pod/fuselage's end section - might even offer enough space for a ramp?

63cpe

Sure it'll get the normal nose gear, tailbooms and maingear. It will all be transplanted from the OV-10 but wings and tailplanes will be made a little longer to fit the wider fuselage.
There is a possibility to fit a ramp in the rear but it's of no use as the fuselage isn't wide enough to fit a jeep (I think, need to check). There is a big door in the left rear for entry of passengers and para jumping.

David aka 63CPE

Tophe

I have read somewhere that one of the reasons of the twin-boom layout, for the OV-10 design, was the use of a rear door with full access to the fuselage section, even if not enough for a vehicle. I do not guarantee this is true, but this has been mentionned. Of course, this could be the same, and even more, on the cargo derivative. :unsure:  <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

The standard OV-10 had an opening rear to the fuselage pod because it could carry troops inside, albeit not many. I see no reason why a CV-10 shouldn't have a ramp at the rear because the real one was intended to have just that, see the FS version in the pics I linked earlier.

Regards
Kit