Main Menu

Kalkert Ka 430 V6

Started by 63cpe, December 07, 2022, 09:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

I guess every new project has to start with: "What if..."

In this case what if the Kalkert Ka 430 tactical assault glider was developed in a motorized tactical transport...

This how this project started:

PXL_20221207_112046630 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Not 100% sure about the engine choice yet. The argus engines from the Siebel 204 might be changed for radials from a Gotha 244 on nacelles of a Caproni 311. just for good looks.

Cheers,
David

Dizzyfugu

Nice idea!! My first suggestion would also have been a Gnome-Rhône radial engine, which was available in suitable numbers and used on several second line aircraft like the Go 244, the Me 323.

Tophe

9 year ago, I imagined a Ka-430Z zwilling, and this one could have received engines too!

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/Ka430Z.JPG
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

63cpe

Update time!

The correct engines and props were finally found after some rummage in the sparesbin. Wasn't easy finding a prop with the correct diameter. You see, the prop is very close to the canopy/ door. So had to have a prop with a rather small diameter. Found two fiat CR 42 engines with (turning) props and these were a fit. Glued them on the nacelles ( Caproni Ca 311's over the Siebel Si 204's) and there we go....

PXL_20221211_200140489 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20221211_200124014 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

The nacelles look kinda big in this picture but that's camera distortion.

Meanwhile found out it's a mayor tailsitter so dumped some lead beats in it's extreme nose to prevent tilting backwards. Also assembled the tail planes, vertical tail and last, but not least, the wings.

PXL_20221211_200218278.MP by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20221211_200151192 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

It looks like a small version of a C-123 Provider as it resembles one a little.

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

Tophe

Very good! Congratulations! :thumbsup:  :bow:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I've said it before, but your sense of proportion really meshes with mine.  Can't wait to see it in paint.
 :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Very interesting build, the mix of parts came out really well.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Cool. Works well with the tricycle landing gear, too.  :thumbsup:

63cpe

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen. About the colors: I think I'll do it in late WW2 luftwaffe colors. This might be an open door, but possibly the best fit. An other option is a worn Luftwaffe Russia theatre color scheme. Choices, choices....

Best regards,
David aka 63CPE

frank2056

I love Huna kits! I think this was one of their later efforts.

Your Ka 430 with engines reminds me of the Antonov An-14

63cpe

It sure looks a little like the Antonov 14 (Pchelka) frank2056.

Meanwhile the upper fuselage was puttied where the wings fit the fuselage as the profiel of the wing is a tad higher than the fuselage. This still needs to be sanded down, but social events will cause some delays.

David aka 63CPE

63cpe

Aaaand it's finished!

What if there was a piston engined version of this late war German assault glider. As with the majority of the German aircraft it was too little, too late. The Kalkert Ka430 V6 is an example on how a simple modification can turn into a very successful type of aircraft.

PXL_20230213_215553502 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20230213_215721749 (2) by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20230213_215731935 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20230213_215802943 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
PXL_20230213_215811958 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Hope you like it..

David aka 63cpe

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Bril job there, like a Luftwaffe C-123.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit