Gloster Goldcrest

Started by TomZ, November 27, 2022, 10:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Gloster Goldcrest

In response to RAF specification F.18/37 four companies entered designs for in total six aircraft.
The participating designs were:
•   Bristol F.18/37
•   Gloster F.18/37
•   Hawker Tornado
•   Hawker Typhoon
•   Supermarine Type 324
•   Supermarine Type 325

The Hawker contenders were chosen for development and in 1940 the Gloster F.18/37 was developed further into a mixed powered aircraft powered by a Rolls Royce Griffon te W-1A jet engine.

It entered service in 1945 and proved moderately successful. Rather quickly however it was replaced with the pure jet Meteor.

Kit: Unicraft 1/72 resin

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

SPINNERS

63cpe

:wub: Luvly

Now I need to have one too..... :thumbsup:

David aka 63CPE

kitbasher

Excellent, Tom, well done.  Have seen drawings of the project and always been struck by it's resemblance to the Curtiss P-40.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TomZ

Quote from: kitbasher on November 27, 2022, 11:27:27 AMExcellent, Tom, well done.  Have seen drawings of the project and always been struck by it's resemblance to the Curtiss P-40.

Guess where the shark mouth decals came from  ;D  ;D

TomZ

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Cool.  :thumbsup:  I just wonder where either the jet air intake or the radiator is?

TomZ

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 28, 2022, 01:27:22 AMCool.  :thumbsup:  I just wonder where either the jet air intake or the radiator is?

Under the nose?

TomZ

NARSES2

I do like that .........a lot  ;D  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

loupgarou

Quote from: TomZ on November 28, 2022, 02:36:37 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 28, 2022, 01:27:22 AMCool.  :thumbsup:  I just wonder where either the jet air intake or the radiator is?

Under the nose?

TomZ

Would feeding the jet engine with hot air from the radiator better the efficiency or lower it? I am no engineer.
Anyway a strange and fascinating aircraft.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

It would definitely lessen the power output of the jet, they don't really like warm intake air.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit