Dettol as a brush cleaner?

Started by The Rat, November 21, 2022, 05:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Picked up some the other day because I think it's more environmentally friendly than other paint strippers like brake fluid. Now thinking about it as a brush cleaner, soaking it to soften up those hard accumulations that sometimes build up at the base of the bristles and in the ferrule. Brushes will need a good soak afterward to clear it all out, but I'm trying it on one. Anyone else done this?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Yes, I tried it some years ago after reading about it on a model railway web site, and it works pretty well, or it did then anyway.

Of course in the meanwhile some fatuous EU ruling may well have changed the formula and it might not work with the current stuff, but who knows without a trial?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Are we talking about Dettol the disinfectant ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Yes. I'm more curious to know if the snide supermarket own brands would do the same trick but at a third the cost.  I mourn the loss of Gary Power spray, as that would take off even Halfords metallics and primer.

I always use Plastic Weld for cleaning stubborn brushes.  It has the added benefit of staining the glue so you know if you've actually used it where it's intended.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 22, 2022, 05:55:04 AMI mourn the loss of Gary Power spray, as that would take off even Halfords metallics and primer.

MGary Power spray - what, U-2?  ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Sodding Autocorrect!  Should be Fairy Power Spray.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 22, 2022, 05:34:54 AMAre we talking about Dettol the disinfectant ?

That's the one! Took me ages to find some on this side of the Atlantic, but now I know a source.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Quote from: The Rat on November 22, 2022, 07:37:05 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 22, 2022, 05:34:54 AMAre we talking about Dettol the disinfectant ?

That's the one! Took me ages to find some on this side of the Atlantic, but now I know a source.

Cheers  :thumbsup: . It's the one I have in the house for disinfectant use anyway, so I'll give it a try.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

Dettol is ok I have found against enamels but requires 24 hours to soak in.

I am not sure about acrylics.

Mr Muscle spray is easily available in the UK and works a treat,
Keeper of George the Cat.

Rheged

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on December 05, 2022, 11:47:41 PMDettol is ok I have found against enamels but requires 24 hours to soak in.

I have  tried Dettol with most types of paint, and if you have PLENTY OF TIME   it seems to work.  The bonus is that your brushes are totally germ free!!

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 21, 2022, 09:50:41 PMOf course in the meanwhile some fatuous EU ruling may well have changed the formula..

Nope. I say it happened when you "britified" the formula post Brexit, just to make sure it isn't european standard anymore. I'm expecting you to do the same with most other things as well, like standardising your car fleet on Morris Marinas and Austin Allegros..  :wacko:  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Leading Observer

Quote from: Pellson on December 06, 2022, 09:35:48 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 21, 2022, 09:50:41 PMOf course in the meanwhile some fatuous EU ruling may well have changed the formula..

Nope. I say it happened when you "britified" the formula post Brexit, just to make sure it isn't european standard anymore. I'm expecting you to do the same with most other things as well, like standardising your car fleet on Morris Marinas and Austin Allegros..  :wacko:  ;)

And what's wrong with Marinas, Allegros or even Hillman Avengers?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Pellson

Quote from: Leading Observer on December 06, 2022, 10:54:08 AM
Quote from: Pellson on December 06, 2022, 09:35:48 AM

And what's wrong with Marinas, Allegros or even Hillman Avengers?

Nothing. Unless you compare its availability numbers with just about anything else but possibly a Land Rover Defender. Which, btw, is why I'm authorised to pull off a comment like this, owning and at least periodically operating two of the latter  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on December 06, 2022, 09:15:59 AM
Quote from: Howard of Effingham on December 05, 2022, 11:47:41 PMDettol is ok I have found against enamels but requires 24 hours to soak in.

I have  tried Dettol with most types of paint, and if you have PLENTY OF TIME   it seems to work.  The bonus is that your brushes are totally germ free!!

If it removes the paint from the bristles, does it also remove paint from the handle?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

Until this thread I had no idea Dettol could be used as paint stripper/brush cleaner.

If you soak a model/parts to strip paint can the Dettol be used more than once?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter