Canberra Night Fighter, any historical data?

Started by Stan in YUL, November 08, 2022, 08:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan in YUL

I was wondering if a Canberra with an AI radar was ever worked on.  Nothing I've found so far suggests this configuration was explored.

Thanks in advance.

Gondor

Your talking about the EE. P.12 All weather fighter which was designed to carry Red Dean Air-to-Air missiles .

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

.... and has been modelled on here in various forms, and quite frequently too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

There were more variants too.  Gondor and Kit mentioned the P.12, which would have had AI.18 radar and carried Red Dean or Firestreak.  There was an earlier P.2 drawn up with a blunter nose packing an AI.9c radar and carrying Fireflash and hispanos in a modified bomb bay.  The final P.16 variant was proposed to India with an AI.23 radar - picture a B(I).8 with a T.11 nose (a Javelin style nose with AI-18 is also mentioned.

More info in Chris Gibson's Battle Flight.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Stan in YUL

Thanks gents.  What a sight that would have been.  I have a Matchbox PR19 on the shelf of doom (maybe 60% done) that might serve as a basis. 

PR19_Kit

I think you'll find that the M'box Canberra is a PR9. There never was a PR19, not a Canberra anyway.

It makes a good basis for Whiffing, but because of the wide chord wing it means it can be fiddly to add bits from the various Airfix Canberras.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

thundereagle1997

Add 2 cannons crop up the wings add rails place the engines in the fuselage for aerodynamic refinement use area ruling give canard foreplanes use only a2a weapons and replace t-tail with f-15 tail but canted.
30mm cannons
Bubble canopy
Swept wing

PR19_Kit

CROP the wings??????  :o

Do all that lot and you might as well scratchbuild it, there'd be nothing left of the original Canberra.

Regards
Kit

Stan in YUL

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 08, 2022, 08:01:01 PMI think you'll find that the M'box Canberra is a PR9. There never was a PR19, not a Canberra anyway.

It makes a good basis for Whiffing, but because of the wide chord wing it means it can be fiddly to add bits from the various Airfix Canberras.

My bad!