Steyr ADGZ M35 Mittlerer Panzerwagen

Started by zenrat, November 03, 2022, 04:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Steyr ADGZ M35 Mittlerer Panzerwagen

Steyr ADGZ - 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Steyr ADGZ entered service with the Bundesheer (Austrian Army) in 1935.  It was produced until 1937 by which time 27 vehicles had been built and put into use by both the Army and the Police.  After the 1938 Anschluß Österreichs (the annexation of Austria by nazi Germany) these were all taken and put into Wehrmacht (German Army) service.

Steyr ADGZ - 12 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The ADGZ was a massive (12 tons, 6.26m long, 2.16m wide, 2.56m tall), four axled, twelve-wheeled armoured car with a crew of six.  The front and rear independently sprung steerable axles both carried single wheels, while the central axles carried dual wheels and were conjoined on a common suspension.  All twelve wheels were driven and it was intended for both off-road and urban usage.

Steyr ADGZ - 19 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The welded body, sloped to deflect projectiles, was constructed with 6mm armour and was almost symmetrical fore and aft with the engine mounted at the rear.  The interior layout was also symmetrical with a driver and a machine-gunner sitting side by side at each end.  The circular turret was mounted centrally housing a 20 mm KwK 35 L/45 autocannon and a MG 34 machine-gun.  Four headlights were also fitted, two on each end of the vehicle.

Steyr ADGZ - 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Of the 27 ADGZs delivered 12 were used by the Bundesheer and 14 by Gendarmerie.  After the nazi takeover of 1938 all these vehicles were distributed among SS units and military police.  In 1939, a detachment took part in the operations in Danzig, Poland, which led to the British and French declaration of war.  Three SS Heimwehr Danzig armored cars were engaged and one lost in action while taking the post office.  The SS obviously liked the Steyr as in 1941 the ordered 25 additional vehicles which were used in various units in the Balkans, for police operation and fighting partisans.  Unconfirmed sources claim that tests were performed mounting Soviet T-26 turrets on the vehicles after many of these tanks were captured in 1941 during the German attack on the Soviet Union.

Steyr ADGZ - 4 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Following the end of the Second World War in 1946 the USSR gifted a number of captured ADGZs to the People's Democratic Republic of Victoria for use by the State Police.  Soviet engineers had thoroughly overhauled the vehicles and had taken a pointer from the nazi tests by fitting T-26 turrets mounting a 45mm gun and a MG-34 rechambered for Russian ammunition.  The Victorian State Police used the Steyrs for crowd control and for patrolling the more rural parts of the PDRV.  The vehicle shown here was based at Omeo in the Victorian South East.

Steyr ADGZ - 20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model;
Hobby Boss 1/35 Steyr ADGZ.
Turret from 1/35 Soviet BA-3 armoured car (Hobby Boss? Zvezda?) with turned metal barrel.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

A mechanical masterpiece if ever I saw one!  :thumbsup:

But if it was the same at both ends, how do you KNOW the engine was at the rear?  ;D

And the backstory is a gem too, I have NO idea how much of it is RW or not.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

LOL, I already wondered about the "Police" operator - very creative explanation.  :thumbsup:

Looks very good, nice dust overall.  :lol:

Wardukw

Looking great mate  :thumbsup:
Those push me pull you armoured cars where a pretty cool bits of engineering.
Yours has the lovely touch of the turret upgrade . A very nice touch  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Some serious police work required in the highlands, by the looks of it! ;D  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Really needs to have a "polite message", the LAPD M114 from Dragnet (1987)

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: scooter on November 04, 2022, 07:33:21 AMReally needs to have a "polite message", the LAPD M114 from Dragnet (1987)

"Service guarantees citizenship.  Would you like to know more?"
Fred

Captain Canada

Nice one. Be hard to stop that thing !

I was fueling up on the outskirts of Detroit a few years back. I heard this roar/rumble coming down the road.....it was an M113 of the local police service. They look pretty wimpy beside an MBT, but they look pretty bad passing cars on the freeway !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on November 05, 2022, 04:53:22 AMThanks folks.

Quote from: scooter on November 04, 2022, 07:33:21 AMReally needs to have a "polite message", the LAPD M114 from Dragnet (1987)

"Service guarantees citizenship.  Would you like to know more?"

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Wardukw

Well US police are being given ex US army MRAPS  so this works out rather nicely  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

The Victorian State Police generally use civilian vehicles.  Military equipment being the purview of the Republican Police (Repos) and the Secret State Police (Sestapo).

I have written some words about this whichI will position my blog if anyone is interested.
Fred