Phantom and Lightning - Very, Very Phrightning

Started by CammNut, October 22, 2022, 01:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CammNut

This creation is based on a profile here on Whatifmodellers by member ysi_maniac (Carlos Marin).

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=29716.720#topic-5

So this build is dedicated to his inspirational creativity - the BAC Sea Lightning FAW.1

By the middle of the 1960s, UK combat aircraft procurement plans were in disarray. The Royal Navy had withdrawn from the Hawker P.1154 program in 1964 and in 1965 the new Labour government canceled both the P.1154 and the BAC TSR.2 programs. The Fleet Air Arm and Royal Air Force were both to receive the McDonnell F-4K/M and the RAF the General Dynamics F-111K, both US designs. The F-111K was cancelled in 1968, leaving just the F-4K/M and depriving UK industry of much-needed work to Anglicise the US design.

UK industry rebelled. A compromise was reached. Hawker Siddeley's Brough plant would support the RAF's F-4Ms while the FAA's F-4Ks were canceled and BAC was awarded a contract to develop a version of the Lightning as a carrier-based interceptor. There was one stipulation by the Royal Navy: BAC had to work with McDonnell and Westinghouse to equip the Sea Lightning with the F-4K's AWG-11 weapon system and AIM-7 Sparrow air-to-air missile.

BAC combined the US weapon system with its existing work on a variable-geometry wing for a proposed F.7 version of the Lightning for the RAF. The result was the Sea Lightning FAW.1. To avoid the cost and time for a clean-sheet redesign, the aircraft that emerged was essentially a variable-geometry Lightning with the F-4's forward fuselage grafted on. Not elegant, but functional.

The Lightning's reheated Rolls-Royce Avon engines were modernised and further uprated. The redesign also provided more room for fuel inside the aircraft, somewhat alleviating the Lightning's critical lack of endurance.

The Sea Lightning had a short service life, and was retired at the end of the 1970s when the Royal Navy's aircraft carriers were decommissioned. The RAF did not want to take on the orphan fleet, so the aircraft were scrapped.

The donor kits are Airfix's new-tool 1/72 Lightning and Phantom, combined with Freightdog's Lightning variable-geometry wing set. The decals are from the Phantom and Lightning kits.

Compared with Carlos' original profile, the Phantom forward fuselage was a little shallow, hence the dip where the Lightning's spine fairs into the Phantom's cockpit. But otherwise they fitted quite well together.

JayBee

Now that can only be seen as a fantastic build, from a fantastic idea.
 :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

dwomby

Not just impressive modelling but an impressive backstory.  I like it!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

David

Glenn Gilbertson

kerick

Great build! I bet the pilots were happy to hav a little more head room!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Oh yes! That's one SUPERB cross-kit job!  :thumbsup:

Love the whole thing, the idea, the build and the backstory.  :wub:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

So weird but also so cool ! Then again, anything in that paint scheme would look good lol.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

63cpe

Awesome kitbash. What a feat to combine these kits in one. Must have been quite a struggle. But you managed it very good. Congrats!

David aka 63CPE

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

DogfighterZen

I support the words that were here written before mine with a "Wow..." ;D
Great stuff, CammNut!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Tremendous kitbash  :bow:  :bow:  I particularly like the underside view for some reason
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

I bet you went though a lot of filler with that.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....