Minart 1/35 Lanz Bulldog D8500 tractor

Started by frank2056, October 03, 2022, 06:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

A tractor isn't usually a tank, so this build may belong here.
I like tractors - there's a good break from whatever I've been building- basically "palate cleansers". No cat help this time - the Minart 1/35 Lanz Bulldog German Agricultural Tractor D8500 Mod. 1938 was just calling to be built. Minart kits tend to be fiddly, with small assemblies and delicate attachment points, but they're usually well engineered (but no where as annoying to build as Hobby Boss or Bronco kits.)  So I was expecting an uneventful but long build.

Wow - was I wrong! This is a fun, quick build - yes, it has small and delicate attachment points and some tiny parts (like a 1mm bolt that has to be sliced off a sprue - they provide 3), a small PE fret and some required scratchbuilding but it's logically laid out and so nicely engineered. Most of the parts went together with minimal sanding and few (if any) noticeable gaps. This was a zero cussing build for me, which is remarkable.

Most of the tractor was finished in a few hours.  I used some 30 AWG wirewrap wire and some 0.4mm styrene waste from my 3D FDM printer for the tubing that had to be scratchbuilt. I replaced the PE strap for the smokestack with some adhesive copper foil.

As it was this morning:

It's painted and waiting for some weathing right now. Pictures tomorrow.

There are versions of this kit with rubber tires as well. The Bulldog was used worldwide, so it doesn't have to be a WWII German vehicle.

Rick Lowe

Cool! As you say, a nice change of pace.  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

This is cool Frank and quite helpful..been wanting to see a build on one of the miniart range of tractors..I'll be watching this with great interest   ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Phill - this is one of those kits that's so enjoyable to build that you want to build it again as soon as you finish.
Other kits (for me) in this category:
Tamiya 1/35 Jeep ( (Kit No. 35219)
Vision 1/35 BA-64 armored car
Moebius 1/144 Convair NEV
Revell 1/72 Ar E.555

scooter

Now all you need is it towing a Russian war prize. :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

frank2056

Scooter - I really thought about that! Maybe towing a T-34 and flying a Ukrainian flag,,. alas, it's already painted.

Taken in the late afternoon Sun, so the shadows are a bit deep:

The name plate is PE - I scraped off the paint to expose the brass underneath. The front wheels can be posed, so I turned them slightly to the left:

The decals on this kit are great - maybe a bit thick, but most are tiny placards (they provide extras) and a small dial. All three went on without any issue:

Almost dealer showroom clean:

Our French friend for scale:

I'm building a driver figure, but it needs some modification/re-posing. The tractor needs one extra decal - the kit has a "Bei Frostgefahr Wasser ablassen" (Drain the water if there is a risk of freezing) but I need to change the language. Options are:

"Vidanger l'eau en cas de risque de gel" (French)
"Drene a água se houver risco de geada" (Portuguese)
"Escorrer a auga se hai risco de xeadas"(Galician)

...and because this has been such an easy build, I added Occitan:
"Escorreu d'aigua se i a un risc de gelada" I cheated a bit and used Catalan as the base language and changed a couple of words.

If any of the above translations are incorrect, please suggest a better one! I'll print the decal and just weather over it, so it may not matter much.

Old Wombat

That was quick! :o

Awesome build, Frank! Looks really good, used but not abused, & the play of sunlight & shadows gives it an extra touch of realism. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :mellow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Yeah I'm agreeing with Guy on the light..really does have a lovely feel to it with the shadow and dude ..the paint is great ..love it  :thumbsup:

Well when it comes to language..I think Ukrainian is a good one and here's an idea ..have it towing a T34 and as it might be already painted..makes no never mind Frank..I used to mow the lawns at home when I was a kid on a yellow Fordson  ;D
As for the T34 idea..think I read it somewhere  :wacko:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

That is an absolutely amazing build Frank, it just looks the business  :bow:

Pose a farmer walking past with a draft horse and the caption "they'll never catch on"  ;)

Quote from: frank2056 on October 04, 2022, 10:08:35 AMPhill - this is one of those kits that's so enjoyable to build that you want to build it again as soon as you finish.
Revell 1/72 Ar E.555

I know what you mean about this kit in particular. It just seems to flow together
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

This is a lovely piece of work!        I wonder if we could persuade  Airfix to redo the first kit they did............a Ferguson tractor.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

frank2056

I added a couple of figures (for now) I'm experimenting with a new technique I saw on Youtube:

but I don't quite have the technique down yet.

The first figure is the driver, which is based on the old man from the Masterbox Eastern Region Peasants. The legs and arms have been repositioned and the hands replaced by old Verlinden hands.

"Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!":

The second is the kid watching the soccer match from the Masterbox German Tankers - A break between battles, WW II era

They may both look better in sunlight. There's a third figure coming, as well as a few other things.

Wardukw

Beautiful stuff Frank and that video...Night shift by chance ?

perttime

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 05, 2022, 12:59:24 AMPose a farmer walking past with a draft horse and the caption "they'll never catch on"  ;)
That is what they told my grandfather  ;D

As for the tank towing thing ... I think that is a bit over done by now.

I mostly find tractors fascinating, and I've spent some months of my life using one or two. This one is pretty cool.